• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Troutt

Troutt

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

Hey everyone,I'm looking for a good belt for EDC. I typically carry my Glock 19 in a Galco KingTuk, at roughly the 4 o'clock position. The problem: the holster will occasionally come out with the gun /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_eek.gifMy current belt is a no-name decently thick and sturdy leather belt. It is part of my uniform for work. It's the thickest/stiffest belt I own so I wear it pretty much all the time. I'm really interested in the Ares Ranger Belt/ Jones Tactical/ whoever else makes the awesome scuba/cobra buckle belts. My hesitation, I have a really hard time spending more than $45-50 on a belt I'll only be able to wear 20% of my time. The Ranger belt style won't be allowed at work (unless I were to go black-on-black, and even that is iffy), and isn't quite going to pass inspection with the Mrs for Sunday-go-ta-meetin clothes.  So finally, my question: got any good recommendations? I need something that won't break the bank, but also will keep my holster in my pants when I want/need to remove the weapon. Thanks all.Troutt
  • Mike Russo likes this

#2 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

I've tried to nickle and dime on a few things over the years.  I ended up spending double vs doing it right the first time. I don't own a Bullhide belt (I own a Wilderness 5 stich) but they seem to be well liked and look like a real dress belt.  They might be double your $30 budget but should look fashionable AND carry your sidearm for many years without issue. 

#3 TomS

TomS

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

5.11 makes a decent one with a nylon buckle... a lot lighter than the steel buckles.

#4 HeadSpace

HeadSpace

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:07 AM

Troutt said:

Hey everyone,I'm looking for a good belt for EDC. I typically carry my Glock 19 in a Galco KingTuk, at roughly the 4 o'clock position. The problem: the holster will occasionally come out with the gun /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_eek.gifMy current belt is a no-name decently thick and sturdy leather belt. It is part of my uniform for work. It's the thickest/stiffest belt I own so I wear it pretty much all the time. I'm really interested in the Ares Ranger Belt/ Jones Tactical/ whoever else makes the awesome scuba/cobra buckle belts. My hesitation, I have a really hard time spending more than $45-50 on a belt I'll only be able to wear 20% of my time. The Ranger belt style won't be allowed at work (unless I were to go black-on-black, and even that is iffy), and isn't quite going to pass inspection with the Mrs for Sunday-go-ta-meetin clothes.  So finally, my question: got any good recommendations? I need something that won't break the bank, but also will keep my holster in my pants when I want/need to remove the weapon. Thanks all.Troutt

Check out the US Grunt Gear Contractor Belt
Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. Thomas Jefferson3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)

#5 bateman47

bateman47

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 10 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

I've been wearing a Maxpedition Liger Gun Belt for a little more than 5 years now and it works great in just about every situation. It cleans up with a little soap and water (if needed), looks like propper leather, doesnt flex under weight (I carry a full-size M&P 9mm with TRL1, extra 26 round mag, handcuffs and flashlight all on the belt with no issues), locks the holster onto the belt to the point where you have to muscle the holster around should you need to adjust while wearing it, and it can be worn with every thing from shorts to a suit and still look right. It's a little pricey, I think I paid about $65ish, but it's well worth it.

#6 RoughEdge

RoughEdge

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

I tend to wear a 5.11 stiched leather belt or a 5.11 trainer belt. I got a whole bunch of the stitched leather belts during a promotion of one sort or another once, and have deformed one so far. Holster clips that will release on the trainer belt do not release on the leather belt.

#7 berserkirtec

berserkirtec

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Once I went Ares Gear I'll never go back to leather. I could place a full size weapon simultaneously at 1:00, 3:00, 5:00, 7:00, 9:00, and 11:00 o'clock and my Ares Ranger belt would most likely support the weight. However, if I need a gun belt that looks similar to a fine leather belt and is extremely durable then I would most likely go the Maxpedition Liger belt route. ;)

#8 renomax

renomax

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 53 posts
  • Locationcentral oklahoma

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

I have been wearing a paracord belt for couple years and it is still like new. I EDC a sog powerlock and an esee 4 on it with no problems. Not sure how it would hold up with gun holster but I wont go back to leather. Price was about $50 plus shipping.

#9 brent marcum

brent marcum

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

I have been using a Rigger's belt from the Original SOE, a John Willis made belt, for the last 6 years almost everyday. I carry OWB holster w/Glock 17, extra mag, radio, cell phone and badge. Hasn't let me down yet. Very sturdy! You can now get the belt with or without the d-ring or with a cobra buckle. Check them out I don't think you can go wrong. Several different colors too.
  • FreeStyle1138 likes this

#10 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 876 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:38 AM

I've been wearing a Maxpedition Liger Gun Belt for a little more than 5 years now and it works great in just about every situation. It cleans up with a little soap and water (if needed), looks like propper leather, doesnt flex under weight (I carry a full-size M&P 9mm with TRL1, extra 26 round mag, handcuffs and flashlight all on the belt with no issues), locks the holster onto the belt to the point where you have to muscle the holster around should you need to adjust while wearing it, and it can be worn with every thing from shorts to a suit and still look right. It's a little pricey, I think I paid about $65ish, but it's well worth it.

I've been waiting forever for the brown Liger belt to show up in stock and I'm ready to give up and move on... Unless there is another supplier than Maxpedition I may be out of luck.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#11 langston302

langston302

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

5.11 Trainers belt.
Posted Image Posted Image

#12 FeNuts

FeNuts

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

I have a wilderness tactical riggers belt, don't carry a gun but a fixed blade doesn't phase it. You can get it in different stiffness so whatever you think would be best.

#13 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 257 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

Personally, I hate my cobra buckle belt and glad I made my own and am only out the cost of the buckle. Maybe I just need to get use to it compared to the rigger type belts I've worn for the last eight years or so, but I like em. The cobra buckle also didn't jive with my bianchi duty belt buckle very well either and caused it to stick out. I rotate between a wilderness belt, and a 5.11 belt. Just be sure you get a "gun" belt and not an "instructor" belt as they are sometimes called. The difference is the piece of plastic they sew between the pieces of webbing. It makes all the difference.
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#14 LongHaul

LongHaul

Salty Dog

• 464 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

I carry a Springfield XDS on the Wilderness Original Instructor belt. I don't notice the weight at all. The belt is comfortable and stiff enough that it doesn't flex or roll under the weight of the gun. I like the reviews on the Ares belt and the Liger belt. I'll probably try those eventually. I'm really satisfied with my current setup though, so I'm not in a rush. I settled on the Wilderness Original Instructor belt over the 5.11 belt that my local distributor also carries because the 5.11 is an import and the Wilderness belt is made in the USA.

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#15 hombre gris

hombre gris

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

I vary between a Wilderness Instructor Belt (the 5-stich) model and the Ares, using a Milt Sparks VM-2. However my dress requirements are different than yours. I have heard good things about the Liger belts, but I've never seen one. I would recommend a good quality heavy leather belt would best fit your needs.It's possible that the holster may also be part of the problem. Are the clips and the belt the same size? Personally I don't like those types of clips.

#16 MikeFL

MikeFL

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

I have two of Volund Gearworks Atlas Belts, one in all black that I use as an EDC and underbelt for my duty gear and another in foliage and black that I use for EDC.

They are stiff and have held up very well. If you go with all black the small G-Hook doesn't stand out like cobra buckles or some of the other buckles that are used on riggers/EDC belts.

http://store.volundg....com/index.php/

#17 PapaCannoli

PapaCannoli

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

I, like my black hawk Riggers Belt. I ahve no issues with everything that I carry day to day nad while at work. They also carry some leather looking belts that I hear good things about.

#18 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 381 posts
  • LocationYuma, AZ

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

I had been using a $10 belt from walmart, it held up pretty good for about 3 years straight. Actually it's still holding up just fine, but its too thick and a little uncomfortable. About a month ago I replaced it with a 5.11 Apex Gunner's belt and I love it. It's really comfortable, looks presentable, and unlike the LIGER belt, is in stock. From what I hear it is very comparable to the LIGER belt, but has a softer more flexible feel, while still having many of the same strengths.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif Don't confuse post count with intelligence.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#19 Highwaystreets

Highwaystreets

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

I've heard really good things about the Ares belt but haven't used one. If I were to get a dedicated shooting belt I'd try Ares.

#20 davebcarr

davebcarr

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 70 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

Ive been using a 215 gear ultimate riggers belt, overall a really solid belt but at 1.75in in width and with a cobra buckle its impossible to get through normal belt loops without taking one side of the buckle off. i'll probably end up trying to get something a bit smaller for EDC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users