• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mark McGrath

Mark McGrath

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

I have been reading a good bit on the GORUCK challenge.  I am not sure if I am going to get a chance to run one of these challenges, but none the less I figured I would place that as a goal.  I have seen a few recommendations, and frankly I need new running shoes.  With that said I have been looking at Salmon(sp)  would anyone else recommend specific brands or styles for such a abusive event?

#2 Rocketman_87

Rocketman_87

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

This might not be any use to you as far as what shoes to look for, but it might offer some more insight on more than just the shoe. When I started training with a weighted pack for the Goruck I was wearing the La Sportiva: C-Lites, since they had recently served me well in the Tough Mudder. But once I added weight to my runs/ jogs I developed Plantar Fasciitiss. I believed this was caused by the higher arch of the shoe, and it probably could have easily been avoided by stretching my calves a lot more, before and after. I then switched over to Oakley SI boots for more of a ruck, and less of a run type training routine, but that didn't help. The added weight affected my stride in normal running shoes, which put too much strain on my feet. Boots should have worked since they are my normal rucking footwear, but the damage had already been done. Running shoes might feel fine at first, but be aware that they might not be suited for weighted runs.I ended up giving up on my Goruck dreams for the time being and have adopted a minimalist sole shoe for running to address my new found foot condition. I think I'm back to the point where I can start training for it again, but it's taken a long time to get back to where I am.Point being, its more than just the shoe. Take care of your feet, and everything else that goes into having them function properly. Stretch your calves constantly! Also, I've been told that Superfeet insoles will help a lot, and they have different soles for different types sports and what not. As far as Salomon shoes, I hear great things.. but nothing pertaining to the Goruck yet. I too am interested in hearing what other people have trained in, and what they wore during the challenge.

#3 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 685 posts
  • LocationD/FW

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:13 AM

That's a good question. A lot of people wonder what to wear. If you have footwear that you really like, then stick with those. There hasn't been much consensus (in the GORUCK Tough community) on which footwear is best so it's honestly up to you. Just make sure they are broken in if they need to be. I wore a pair of Adidas trail running shoes. They had a ton of cushion and it seemed to help my feet out a lot. I usually like very little but with the weight of the bricks and sometimes a teammate on my back, I wonder if the extra cushioning didn't come in handy.If you get a pair of Salomons just for the GORUCK Challenge, I don't recommend getting the Gore-Tex version. Actually, I wouldn't use anything Gore-Tex for the Challenge because you really want water to flow in and out. Getting water trapped will suck and you want your shoes to drain as fast as possible.One of the guys in my class did a nice writeup and doesn't even really mention shoes. Just may show how little they matter. Don't read that wrong and think they don't matter at all but there doesn't seem to be a silver bullet.[Packing and Preparing for a GORUCK Challenge] Oh and one more thing on the Salomon shoes. The trail running shoes they have come highly recommended by a lot of people and semi recommend them too. I bought a pair of the XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 and thought they were awesome. They lace up quickly and hold tight, they were decently comfortable, and they had great grip. But if you run on pavement most of the time, the tread on these things will wear flat in no time. They are made of a super soft compound that doesn't handle the road very well so keep your training in these to the trail. I just got rid of mine (too bald on the bottom) and won't be buy another pair. Although, Bryan has the same ones and when his tread ran out, he bought a new pair. 

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#4 Jord Hawkins

Jord Hawkins

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:32 AM

I wore a pair of Salomon XT Wings 2 (the non-gortex ones) for my Challenge that I did in June and they were great!  I bought them when I signed up for the Challenge and did all of my training in them without any problems.  I did get two small blisters near the ball of my foot but I never thought to change my socks after they got wet the second time and probably should have.  Besides the shoes make sure that you have good socks.  I wore Drymax Trail lite socks and they were great but I still should have changed them half way through.I hope that helps.  If you, or anyone, has any questions about what I did to get ready for the Challenge or gear I took please feel free to contact me.  I'll help in any way I can.Cheers,Jord

#5 eagledesigncorp

eagledesigncorp

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 54 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:04 PM

hi Jord
I am about to commit to a goruck in Oct and would love to hear everything
Posted Image
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart......Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

#6 eagledesigncorp

eagledesigncorp

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 54 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 21 February 2013 - 08:24 AM

Anyone concider the oakley LSA water boot, and what sock are the best
Posted Image
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart......Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

#7 BadKarmaGRT

BadKarmaGRT

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

Regarding the Oakley LSA water boots, I've heard some GRTs swear that they're great, and I've heard other GRTs swear that they suck. There really is no silver bullet when shoes and GRC are concerned, just as mikejulietpapa said above. You just have to take all reviews good and bad with a grain of salt, and eventually have to part with a few bucks, buy a pair and try them yourself. I'm going to try the New Balance/OTB Tactical 220 http://www.newbalanc...default,pd.html . I've heard a lot of good reviews on OTB boots in general both by GRT and non-GRT folks.

I did GRC Class 433, during which I simply wore a pair of worn out Asics Gel running shoes....it had mileage from a ten miler race (+ training time) and one Marine Corps Marathon (+ training time). It served me well enough for the 10+ hours and 17+ miles of my GRC, but not surprisingly, it was utterly useless when we had to bushwack uphill (while moving two logs). It was also a soggy water trap...luckily the water torture came last in our evolution.

With what I learned from my experience in Class 433, I decided to give the New Balance/OTB Tactical 220 a try for my GORUCK Heavy in DC coming up in July. I'm hoping it'll be robust enough for off road, drains water as well as advertized, and light enough for runs on pavement.

Edited by BadKarmaGRT, 26 March 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#8 BadKarmaGRT

BadKarmaGRT

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

Socks.....(sigh).....that's another topic I still need to research.

#9 springfieldshooter

springfieldshooter

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

I wore Saucony Omni 11's with Wright socks and they worked well for me. I treated my feet with BodyGlide the night before and morning of and even after getting wet and sandy in the SF Bay I didn't have any issues and had 0 blisters.

As long as the shoes drain well and are comfortable for you while rucking you should be good.

CrewLeaderSignature.png
GORUCK: Light 004 3/23/2013 SF, CA Scavenger 032 6/8/13 San Diego, CA Challenge 742 8/24/13 San Luis Obispo, CA Challenge 840 11/2/13 Sacramento, CA Light 150 12/7/13 SF, CA

#10 rose-marry

rose-marry

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:26 AM

I recommend you Puma or Reebok and if need trendy and comfirtable shoes then see: rhinestone flip flops

#11 Appattack

Appattack

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 74 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:28 AM

I wore the Nike SFB boots during my Challenge. They were only slightly broken in (wore them during the Muster the week before) and I did NO blister preparation the night before or the day of and I had absolutely NO foot problems. I wore the same pare of REI brand wool/synthetic lightweight socks for the entire event (NO changing).............. Zero problems........... Mayby I'm just blessed with good foot genetics :)

I plan on following the same protocol this spring when I do a Challenge/Light back-to-back. (I'll change socks between events).

• mikejulietpapa likes this

Muster 2, GR Challenges 840/1036, Navigator 006

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users