• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Agmundr

Agmundr

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:33 AM

I started using a heavy bag as a part of my daily workout and was wondering how many people use heavy bag training in order to increase cardio endurance as well as strength.  I used to use one when I did kickboxing, so I figured I'd put one up on the back porch and start using it.  This morning was the first session with it, and I did it following my 100 pushup and 100 situp APFT prep.  Turns out it's harder than I remember it being, ENTIRELY different animal than just doing lightweight exercises and running!  I remember my cardio being at its best when I was training in kickboxing, and I definitely know why now!  Not to mention that I just simply feel better after smashing something repeatedly.  So, who else incorporates this training tool into your workouts?

#2 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 511 posts
  • LocationPaulden, AZ

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:58 AM

Martial arts can be great cardio training, as you said a heavy bag will wear you out with a quickness. Grappling is another great workout, prior training is important. I just recently started doing sand bag workouts as highlighted here at ITS: Sandbags Unconventional Tools for Functional StrengthLugging around that 80lb bag is great, its the first time I've been good and sore after a workout in a while.  I started off very slow and deliberate a few weeks ago (really focus on good back position and lifting with the legs), just because the potential for back injury is high if you aren''t careful, and then turned it up a notch once I got used to the mechanics of the bag and my body got used to new motions.Just be sure to choose your filler wisely, I went with rubber mulch, but it is very coarsely ground so my bag is at the absolute limit with just 80lbs, so I'll need to ditch some of the mulch and add some sand or something to increase weight. Luckily sand is free and abundant in my neck of the woods -er desert.

Edited by spenceman, 07 July 2012 - 08:00 AM.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#3 Agmundr

Agmundr

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:16 AM

Absolutely agreed on the grappling, I miss rolling around doing Combatives with other Soldiers.  Recruiting sucks, there's just not enough people around who are like minded and have a desire to train, and my schedule doesn't lend well to MA classes. I really appreciate you posting a link to that sandbag workout!  I've been considering filling a duffel bag with dirt or something and using it similarly to how it's talked about in your link.  I'll definitely be getting some ideas from it. A big problem for me when it comes to training is a VERY bad knee; I recently got x-rays and am going in for a follow up on Tuesday.  Anything with a lot of impact as well as range of motion kills, so even biking causes me pain for days.  Hopefully it gets fixed soon and I can stand training hard again.  Because of this, I have to find alternate ways of working out.  I basically don't run anymore, but jumping rope and speed walking with a heavy ruck seem to fill in the gap fairly well; I'm not running as fast as I used to, but I don't need to considering maxing my pushups and situps, I can still get a high APFT score.

#4 Jax

Jax

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:31 PM

Militaryathlete.com is a great source to look at for overall cardio and strength training with the soldier's mentality. I've been doing the operator sessions while deployed and I love it. The program pretty much makes you better at everything asked of a soldier physically. check it out, it's ran by Rob Shaul an ex-para rescue or whatever they're called for the coast guard. He does the work outs also to get a feel for the student. 

#5 assasinationday

assasinationday

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

I've been boxing off-and-on for the past 5 years. For about 2 years I was really into training and sparring and was in the best shape of my life. I should also add for most of that two year period I was single. I'm a certified personal trainer and love to incorporate mitt work and timing drills into workouts. I tell anyone who boxes (for fun) or who has an interest in developing skills to devote at least one of your weekly workouts on footwork. Everything in boxing comes from your feet. Fine-tune pivoting (improves power), work on dragging your feet (drag back foot to move forward, front foot to move backwards), as well as lateral and angular movements. I'm a righty and by training my feet to move counter-clockwise I was able to develop decent power and footing when throwing southpaw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users