• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ChloroFiend

ChloroFiend

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 05:59 PM

I'm looking at picking up a pair of dive computers; one each for my wife and I.  We're both pretty new divers; each with 8 logged dives under our belts.  We're heading down to the Caribbean for a cruise next month and figure its a good time to invest in some gear as we've got 4 dives planned.  I'm planning on continuing with a dive education, including rescue diver, deep diving, and probably some wreck diving.  The wife is content with keeping things shallow and easy.  We're both Nitrox certified as well. I've been kind of looking at the Suunto kit as I know that company's rep for instruments.  I was thinking a Zoop for her as its probably more than enough.  For me, I'm kind of waffling between a Vyper Air and a D4i, as a computer that will be capable of progressing as I start doing some more things down the road.  I can't for the life of me decide which one to go with at this point. I'm all ears for anyone pointing me in one direction, the other….or in completely different directions.   Thanks crew.

Edited by Jon Gucinski, 16 August 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#2 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:26 AM

ChloroFiend, I do not have any experience with Suunto but I have a lot of experience with an Aeris Atmost AI, which is an air/nitrox (up to 50%) computer console that attaches to the regulator by a low pressure hose and has a quick-disconnect option. Though it's not a wrist-mounted unit I think it is an excellent option for new divers. The screen is easy to read, has a backlight that can be user-set to different different durations, displays enough pertinent information but not too much so it is very easy to understand, is operated by two buttons that are easily distinguished from each other, and has a replaceable screen protector. If you are dead-set on a wrist-mounted computer check out the Aeris Elite T3, which I think is slightly larger than either of the Suunto options you listed but is not bulky in my opinion and has a number of features comparable to both Suunto's. Aside from my years of personal experience using Aeris computers I also worked for 5 years at a dive shop that was an Aeris-authorized dealer and never once heard of a customer complaint about Aeris computers. I hope this helps you. Have fun and stay safe. ChrisMaster Diver and former Assistant Instructor through SSI

#3 the_g_man

the_g_man

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

Chlorofiend... Probably a little late to help with your trip, but Suunto Gekko (discontinued,but still out there) sounds like just what you need. I have one and LOVE it. It will do pretty much everything the new Zoop will do, at a better price. Word has it that the Gekko WILL do sync with pc with very little hassle. I haven't had the need for that option. I am uber-old school and still keep a paper log book.

#4 loganvobis

loganvobis

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

I just picked up a Vyper Air for my recent dive trip and loved it! I asked around to the people who lead the dives all day and they seemed to trust and like it as well. I was a bit aprehensive about going completly computer with no gauges but it worked out great. Like most Suunto products the interface takes a bit to get used to but once I learned it (with the help of the divemasters) I am very pleased with it.
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/PlankOwnerSignature-Ver2.png

#5 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

I'm glad people are already talking about this. Are the Suunto Dive Computers in Their Made in Finland or Made in China Lines? Thank you guys.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users