• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,113 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

Ok, I'm just going to go ahead and do it knowing that it may ruffle some feathers.Not a fan of the new forums.I've emailed Bryan some time ago and I mentioned how I love the site and the logo is second to none, but then you follow up with a cookie cutter (and regrettably) inferior forum.Now, with that said I do web design and development and I understand why you went with SimplePress, it's ability to be incorporated into Wordpress is by far its best feature.Do you need help with a forum design of your own? Are you working on one already and this is temporary?If you want your own forum design let me know, we can work out a deal.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#2 Rocketman_87

Rocketman_87

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:39 AM

Agreed. I am not a fan of this new format. I'm not saying you have to go back to the old one.. but something better please. I frequent this forum more than any other because you can actually have a informative conversation without all the internet experts chiming in.. but this new format is really turning me off.

#3 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 681 posts
  • LocationD/FW

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback you guys. That's how we know what works and what doesn't. What would you like to see in a new forum, feature wise? Ability to post/update/interact from a mobile device is on my list. Maybe there are elements of other forums that you really like.@DStevenson, Do you have experience in forum design? Any examples?
  • rbrthenderson likes this

#4 Scuba CN

Scuba CN

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 387 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

I liked the old forums as well. I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem but for me (using Firefox 16.0.2 on a Mac 10.7.5) some forum pages are working in the new format and others show up as if I turned the page-style setting off (i.e. all white page with black text, no borders, no designs, etc.) On the main forum page I wasn't able to find the "Mark all as read" button; I seem to only be able to find it inside each subtopic, which is somewhat annoying if I want to clear everything including threads that I'm not interested in reading such as the meet-up threads for other states.

Chris

#5 hfm5872

hfm5872

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

The forms were working for me the past few weeks, but I am having the same problem in firefox now as Scuba CN. Some form pages, the formatting is fine, others, when I enter the topic to read, all I get is basically a text page.
Posted Image
One Team, One Fight

#6 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 654 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

I'm not sure if it's a result of the new forums, but I don't see smileys or other emoticons on other user's posts. All I see is the URL for the emoticon. Here is an example (/wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif ). I'm using Safari as my web browser. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks ITS for keeping this forum in such good (and well moderated) shape, and for all the great info you make available!

:cool:

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#7 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

I'm not sure if it's a result of the new forums, but I don't see smileys or other emoticons on other user's posts. All I see is the URL for the emoticon. Here is an example (/wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif ). I'm using Safari as my web browser. Anyone else having this problem? Thanks ITS for keeping this forum in such good (and well moderated) shape, and for all the great info you make available!

:cool:

Hi LongHaul,

The issue that we're experiencing is that the emoticons that were posted on the old forum did not port over correctly just like the signatures. Notice that the example you posted (/wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gifÂ) doesn't have a parent URL. The new forum needs to see http://www.itstactical.com/wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif in order to display this -> Posted Image

We're working on correcting them wherever we see them as well as fixing the issue with the "Â" popping up.
Posted Image

#8 berserkirtec

berserkirtec

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Sounds like nothing a simple change within a config file or a good script at the command prompt couldn't solve. ;)

#9 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Sounds like nothing a simple change within a config file or a good script at the command prompt couldn't solve. ;)

I'm pretty sure only half of those words are real.... :evil:

Thanks for the heads up! We'll definitely look into fixing it with a script or config file.
Posted Image

#10 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 654 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for letting me know what's going on! I wasn't sure if the problem was on my end. Thanks for the great forums and website.

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#11 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,113 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for the feedback you guys. That's how we know what works and what doesn't. What would you like to see in a new forum, feature wise? Ability to post/update/interact from a mobile device is on my list. Maybe there are elements of other forums that you really like.@DStevenson, Do you have experience in forum design? Any examples?

I want to follow up that since my last post the forums have been GREATLY improved. I would hate for someone to read my post and say "WTF is he talking about? The new forums rock!"
That post was made during a dark period of the ITS forums.

To answer the question Mike.... yes I have forum and web development experience. Roughly 25 years of it. I own my own design and development firm and have been coding as far back as 1985 with my first BBS on a 1200bps modem. I just wish I would have seen the followup post earlier.. sorry about that.

Edited by DStevenson, 15 November 2012 - 05:48 PM.

• chad1020 likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#12 chad1020

chad1020

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 4 posts
  • LocationHated state of California.

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:19 AM

i'm not sure if it's me or not but when I view the forum main page has a layout but, if I view a thread in the forum it look as if it is in Mobile mode. I have tried to click the change theme bottom at the bottom but that's a no-go, I'm using current version of Chrome as of 11/17. not sure if this is the planned design but all I see is white background and miss aligned text makes it hard to read posts.
Posted Image

#13 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 573 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

I'm having the same problem as ScubaCN. I'm running WinXP SP3 and Firefox 16.0.2. The new forum displays correctly about one third of the time, but it's very random. Also, I one day where my anti-virus software was flagging the forums as a trojan horse. That could have just been a fault with my pc, I rebooted my browser and it's been fine since.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#14 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,113 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

I use Windows 7 with Chrome, Firefox and IE.

Chrome version: 23.0.1271.64 m
No problems found
FireFox version: 17 (beta)
Does not load the .css file required to correctly render the page.
IE version: 9.0.8112.16421 (64-bit)
Does not load the .css file required to correctly render the page.

#15 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,113 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

@mikejulietpapa
@Rob Henderson

Might want to check this thread too (just in case you missed it).
http://itstactical.c...rld/#entry11035

Seeing a ton of .CSS issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users