• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 rancher1school

rancher1school

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:20 AM

Food for Thought for the ITS Crew. Write an article on what to think about when one is buying a tactical vest or a plate carrier for the first time user and buyer who has no military or LE experience.

Attached Files

• mikejulietpapa, Psybain, Condition Write and 2 others like this

#2 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

+1

I'd be interested in this as well, I'm sure a lot of people would get something out of it.
  • Albertryan15 likes this

ITS-Psy-ATACS-sig2_zps3c44c94b.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#3 thefoolofemmaus

thefoolofemmaus

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPacific, MO

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

I'd like to read that as well. Maybe also include some info on what gear to carry/avoid.
  • Albertryan15 likes this

#4 Albertryan15

Albertryan15

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

That would be an great article. I've heard it recommended many times for home defense and I've been doing a lot of research before I buy.

#5 berserkirtec

berserkirtec

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

I agree, it would be a great article.

#6 hfm5872

hfm5872

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

I second...
Posted Image
One Team, One Fight

#7 Anderson

Anderson

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 48 posts
  • LocationNortheast US

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:24 PM

+1

Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not always truth.
Posted Image

#8 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 670 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

I too would love an article on plate carriers!

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#9 slease

slease

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

Count me in as well. I have one at work, but it is old and I can't use it outside of work. Would like different ratings and other MOLLE gear as well!

#10 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,153 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

I know Brian has done a couple video reviews on plate carriers.
One thing I wish I would have put more time into on mine is fit and ease of ingress/egress.

In the meantime I'll throw in a couple things I've found.

It fit just fine when I was wearing a sweatshirt, but once I put on just a T-shirt it was a little big. The adjustments necessary were not enough to make up the slack because when I tested it, it was already at its smallest. A mistake on my part. If you get a chance to try it on, make sure its not at one of its limits already (large or small).

Brand? I'm not sure what your use will be but if you're not wearing it everyday you don't need a high end carrier. Condor makes good inexpensive products and for the occasional use it would work just fine. You'll benefit more from spending the money saved on good mag pouches and a good medical pouch. I hear ITS has a nice one =D

With a loaded vest it is a pain in the ass to get in and out of. See what your options are for getting it on and off.. Mine uses a large solid buckle on the side and a velcro style cummerbund. Not bad but I have to pull up all of my mags (loaded mind you) to get to the velcro pull.

Edited by DStevenson, 20 November 2012 - 12:20 PM.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#11 Condition Write

Condition Write

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 52 posts
  • LocationThe Hills of Kentuckistan

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

I, too, would like to see this article. ;)

Seriously, though... I know there are a lot of resources out there for military and LE purchasers, but the police mission is different from that of the civilian who's interested in self-protection, and mission should be driving equipment. Accordingly, I'd like to see any article take into account the fact that civilian self-defense/SHTF/training PPE needs may not be the same as those of someone whose job is to get into extended firefights.
The pen is not mightier than the sword. If a man has a sword, he can make a man with a pen write anything he wants.

The answer, then, is to have a pen and a sword.

#12 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 670 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

It would be helpful for the armor/plate carrier article to address which models can be worn while sitting (with a reasonable degree of comfort). We wear armor while flying in certain locations and I'd like to run my own setup because I'm sure I could get a more protective and more comfortable setup than our standard issue.

15192964064_247b8d6ceb.jpg

artwork courtesy of a good friend on the forums!

#13 Slipery4life

Slipery4life

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDFW TX

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

+100000 on this article

#14 Rocketman_87

Rocketman_87

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:06 AM

+1

#15 eagledesigncorp

eagledesigncorp

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 54 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 06 February 2013 - 12:15 AM

+ whatever number we are on, this would be awesome. I think an indepth look at various pouches and placement too as well as a set up to be able to run with a seperat gun belt for side arm.
Posted Image
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart......Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

#16 KeithG077

KeithG077

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 29 posts
  • LocationYoungstown Ohio

Posted 12 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

I agree with this as I am just making my entry into the Tactical world. I would definitely be interested in reading an article on this subject for research before i go and spend money on some of this gear

#17 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 01:16 AM

I think a lot of this information can be found through various resources and (more importantly) talking to the guys who actually run the gear.

I think it is a decent idea to do an article on the subject, but it may be hard for it to maintain long term relevance as technology is constantly evolving. Furthermore, it is a very subjective topic. My preferences may differ from someone else significantly.

There is NO SUBSTITUTE for trying on the gear and training with it. Make friends who have gear if possible and try it out. You may get lucky and find the perfect piece of kit first time out, but most of us do not.

Hell, when I am back in San Diego in August, folks can hit me up and I will let them try on my stuff and see how they like it. (I have a PIG, Banshee and Ares).
  • JK-Mann likes this
Posted Image

#18 climberbob1

climberbob1

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

Glad there are more people that want more info. I hope this is the place to get a good answer from someone who knows. I've got a lot of questions on this topic so bear with me please. I started out looking for something to primarily carry ammo after my first time shooting trap, then to the pistol range. I hadn't thought of a plate as an option and I like it (no, not for the range - but thinking of the utility of the vest), but from a 'tactical' point of view, can anyone tell me if the fact you're now a walking ammo supply, if you're HIT, what are the odds of the round(s) igniting anything you're wearing? OR, perhaps that clip might just be the thing that saves your life? How about taking hits that are deflected by your gear - would it slow the round down and create a more tearing would and definitely exit your body? If there is velcro included in the design - it makes noise - sometimes just by moving and catching a flap - I know it's convenient, but if you're really in a tactical situation, don't you want as much stealth as possible? I've just started my research on this, and seeing lots of other "tactical" vests without plates, and I just see this wide open weakness to them if you have the option to include a plate in one garment.

#19 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,153 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:27 AM

I can't answer all of your questions but I can answer the noisy velcro issue. There was a humorous video posted about this but I'm being serious this time.
I have not seen it on any production items yet and it will likely only hit the high-end stuff first.

But I saw a Velcro product that functions exactly like the old school Velcro but with the caveat that when you want to disengage it, instead of pulling straight out you lift up a little before pulling and it completely nullifies the sound... finally! Quiet Velcro!

Here is the comical version of the Special Operators velcro;

I can't find a video of the real stuff.... I'm sorry.
  • Davis likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#20 JK-Mann

JK-Mann

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts
  • LocationGreenville, SC

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

I know the purpose of this thread is to request a formal article, but it can't hurt to provide some information...

I purchased a Shellback Tactical Banshee to use as an active shooter / SHTF rig a little while ago.
Right now it's set up to be used in conjunction with my duty uniform; I have extra pistol mags on my duty belt, etc.
It's also sized to be worn over my department issued concealed vest as it's primary function is for quickly donning it in the event of an active shooter scenario.

I paid around $140 for the carrier and got the IIIA soft armor package from Shellback for $370. I love how easy it is to make adjustments and how comfortable it is. It's light and allows for plenty of movement, although the only experience I can speak from is wearing the soft armor. However, a guy on my shift runs it with ceramic plates and soft armor and he never complains. Plus, it's got a lifetime warranty so if there are any issues, just send it back to Shellback.

Not to take away from the great info here at ITS, but I read this review http://warrior-lab.c...ctical-banshee/ and was basically sold on it.

As for the hook/loop sound issue; I would imagine that if you're putting this on, things have already gotten loud...
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: plates, plate carrier, pouch, vest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users