19 replies to this topic

#1 assasinationday

assasinationday

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

So tonight NatGeo premieres season 2 of “Doomsday Preppers”. I began watching this show with keen interest on how to prepare for disaster but not long after I tuned in more to amuse myself with the hilarious cast of characters. The “Food Hoarders”. The Rednecks planting dynamite mines, eager to blow you (or any Red Flag Waving Chinaman) up into a million pieces if they dare set foot on their front lawn asking for a cup of sugar. The Gun loving gun types who love their guns, your guns, and all the guns in the world. The awkwardly paranoid with some rather irrational fears like “when the Government takes over” - haven’t they already taken over? Or ones preparing for a Radioactive Cloud from Japan’s Nuclear Accident that never actually came about - but just in case it does, they have A LOT of seeds to grow in the ground (which won’t be affected, right?). And a young lady from Texas who was prepared to bug out all the way to Mexico on foot (yet finding her way out of Houston proved difficult) in the event of an oil crisis and ready to offer “favors” to any gentlemen who could ensure her survival.

I won’t discount catastrophic world/species ending events. Planet Earth has a reputation for folding, bucking, lurching, and God only knows what else. And of course, the Universe is a giant pinball machine capable of wiping out planets by tossing a stone. I tend to think of the serious but short-term events that do tend to consistently pop up. Weather/Nature related and the subsequent periods of shortages and dysfunction. Hurricane Sandy sure put a hurtin’ on me and mine so my current train of thought is definitely on preparedness. In the future, I imagine more of these catastrophic weather events cutting the lights and causing rationing of fuel and maybe other resources and I plan on using lesson learned from the previous disaster to better cope. Living in NJ and among the NYC Metro, I also am fearful of the possibility of flu pandemics and terrorist attacks striking our dense population.

But back to the folks on TV. No idea what this season has in store but I imagine you’ll see crazier crazies, because that’s what keeps a reality-based TV show going. And I’ll admit, they’re entertaining. Hopefully a few of the more logical, realistic, and sensible preppers (ones who aren’t just hoarding food and weapons) that can provide good ideas for disaster preparedness.

What are your thoughts on this show?

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,079 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Much like "The Walking Dead" I take this show with a grain of salt. For every good tip I get I see 30 bizarre people that have spent far too much time in seclusion.
I watch it for little more than entertainment but sometimes after a long day at work and as long as the kids are preoccupied it is nice to unwind and laugh a little.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 assasinationday

assasinationday

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

Oh, I absolutely agree that the whackos are what make it so entertaining.

But for every aspiring Suburban War Lord of Sycamore Street they showcase stockpiling an arsenal of weapons, you get a terrified viewer who’s now expecting it to be all out warfare in their community once the lights go dark. There’s a danger in all the fear the show perpetuates, and that’s one of my biggest complaints.

I can understand things getting a bit sporty in the event of a world-wide catastrophy that destroys the human population, government, and infrastructure. And if you want to play Conan or Mad Max then the world is now your playground to pillage and blow stuff up. I know myself well enough to say that I probably wouldn’t make it too far in that sort of world…regardless of how well I shoot and what I have stored in my garage. That goes for most of us raised in and accustomed to today’s world. At the end of every camping trip, expedition, or tour of duty we all get tired and want to come home for a hot shower a relaxing meal in front of the TV and peaceful rest in our warm beds. At some point, you miss the familiar cozy comforts of a safe and quiet modern life.

Back to my criticism of the content.

I wish the show was a little more “how to” and less “hey, look at this”. Taking a tour through someone’s pantry or gun rack is good eye candy, but we see that all the time…maybe some insight on how you consider what foods to keep in order to maintain proper nutrition? Or show how you are going to purify all that water you plan on using from the creek or river. And instead of showing off your marksman abilities, maybe give a quick first aid lesson for when you accidently shoot the neighbors kid after they kicked a ball into your yard. Sprinkle in some Red Cross and FEMA tips.

So yes, it is entertaining and at times informative. I’m not suggesting they do away with the entire show’s format, but at least add in some more educational and realistic preparedness information. They have a great platform to spread a wealth of good information.

#4 sgcaper

sgcaper

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

I haven't watched last night's two new episodes (I have 'em on my DVR) I did watch several of last season's episodes last night.

Frankly, I agree with ya assasinationday. It's a bit hokey. I also agree with DStevenson in that is causes people to be scared of what their neighbors might do.

I wish it had a little more substance.

That said I still think those who have an EDC kit, a BOB, or are preppers owe a lot to the show cause it makes it easier for us. It normalizes what we do. The people on that show are so extreme that no one thinks us carrying a fire starter or pocket knife is that big a deal. It's like I said in the tactical clothing discussion, this is good. It's good for me and my fiancee and it's good for others. It may spark them to think about getting some extra canned food or a water bob. Living in NYC and having friends who lost everything because of Sandy many of them are asking me what they can do to better prepare. To me that's the point of it all, a little buffer of self sufficiency. That couple of days of stuff that will allow you to live while waiting for the insurance adjuster, the contractor, FEMA, etc.

In the end I find the show interesting. I've gotten a couple good ideas from it. I'll watch it. But at the end of the day I'm like you, I'm not really worried about the end of days. I'm concerned about bad weather, lack of power, the things we have and are still living through in NYC because of a hurricane. That kinda stuff.

#5 slease

slease

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

First off, I haven't seen a lot of the show. But from what I have seen, a lot of the people have taken something to the extreme. One person will have food for 10 of their family for 10 years, but not have any first aid. Another person will have every weapon short of nuclear but not have a drop of water. If you are bugging in, you need to have some of all, not all of one.

#6 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,079 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

On the other hand some of the people down right impress me. Much like slease said You need some of all, but not all of one.
Some of the food storage is so over the top its amazing, but in a small way I respect that they feel strongly enough to put that much effort into it.

My wife thinks I'm a little bonkers when I make sure I carry my BoB when taking a drive longer than 2 or so hours. Going up to Northern Michigan is NOT the time I want to find out my car lost all of its oil and I'm now forced to trek all night to find civilization in a pretty unforgiving climate.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#7 assasinationday

assasinationday

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

I saw one of the two new episodes last night. First Prepper was a big guy with a bunker...nothing special. Second Prepper was a 15 year old kid with a bunch of knives, .22 pistol, and a baseball bat with nails pounded in that had been sharpened and hooked. Him and his Prepper buddies nearly burned down a house. The third was a father with 6 kids out in Utah trying to bug out into the mountains in biohaz suits carrying food, guns, and chickens.

First guy wasn't very entertaining or interesting. Third guy seemed pretty solid. But the second one, the kid...wow. I wouldn't call him a prepper but a lost child. Pretty shameful that NatGeo exploited him.

#8 sgcaper

sgcaper

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Watched the new episode last night. My views on it:

First guy. He's gonna die. Has a nice bunker but he was morbidly obese and alone. The whole LMOE thing isn't going to work in his favor at all.

The kid. I actually liked the mom and that she was involved in her kid's life. I did the stuff he did and my mother had no damn clue. At least she did. Heck she even supervised is shooting time. If he was doing this all without her knowing I'd be worried about the kid. I also liked that being a kid he had to make due with what he could scavenge or save for. He's learning valuable life skills. (all said through the eyes of a teacher)

Third guy, yeah I agree seemed like he was pretty with it when compared to the other people they show.

#9 sgcaper

sgcaper

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

Okay just watched last night's episode. As always there was some good info mixed in with some downright crazy.

Mainly the second guy. He was really out there. I still don't know what to say about the guy other then he's scary.

#10 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,079 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

The more I watch it the more I am convinced they are looking for crazy... I think I'm officially done with the show =(

#11 Mother73

Mother73

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:16 AM

Ok, have not seen it. But have to say this. and please forgive me...reality shows are not real. They start with a concept. They find people that fit the outline of their concept (or just hire somebody if they can't) then work very hard to add over the top drama. Even when producers think they are getting "real" people, they are not, because people exaggerate, maximize, and just generally play for an audience.

#12 sgcaper

sgcaper

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Mother you are right on the money. It's always been that way with regards to "reality tv." The way I see very few self respecting preppers would do the show since it completely disregards the first rule of prepping, keep it secret. There are those who have always basked in the spotlight so to speak and don't mind others knowing they are prepared. But, once you go on this show and tell everyone where your super secret stash is, it's no longer super secret. I've seen a few people who show some common sense and won't give away all their secrets but only a few.

As I've said before for each good bit of advice or information you get a lot of crazy.

#13 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,079 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

sgcaper... I'm hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries here but I think you could use some moisturizer... (see profile pic).

#14 sgcaper

sgcaper

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Yeah man it's an ongoing battle. Damn dry skin. tried 2 other pics but they wouldn't show up for some reason and I use this one on a couple of other sites so I figured I'd give it a try. And there you go. Ya get to see me in all my glory.

#15 Mother73

Mother73

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:11 PM

spent a little time as a casting agent in the early 90's.( which I look back on as "A tale of two cities") But in the early days when shows like Jerry Springer were gaining huge popularity, most of the "guests" were friends and family of somebody working the show. Would you claim to have sex with your mother and your sister for a trip to Chicago? An amazing amount of strippers were used, because those girls will take free travel for nearly anything. Hell, a couple of years ago my oldest daughter spent nearly a year shooting pilot episodes for reality model shows that will never see the light of day. She called it her post high school free trip across America. Now, it doesn't mean there is nothing to be learned, just that it is all entertainment. Kind of like how the first season or so of survivor was interesting, then you started to realize how much you hated being treated like you are stupid.

#16 OhioGuy

OhioGuy

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

It's called Hollywood. All those reality TV shows I have a problem with. Some of the content is useful but the majority is shown for one goal: To get ratings. This is why it's so extreme. A real life prepper or survivalist would more than likely be boring to watch.

I actually don't watch too much television. For me the greed of Hollywood has ruined programming for me. I'd rather learn from books, the Internet or by talking to people who have the skills I want to learn.

Have you seen the new show about the rattlesnakes? Yeah, those dudes are smart! Not. But, it makes the Hollywood cut because a large majority of people for some off reason are entertained by that nonsense.

My "entertainment" comes from only one show, Big Bang Theory. Other than that I don't watch TV besides maybe a good sporting event or those gun shows. Although Gun Nuts is hard to listen to because one of the host is pretty monotone and dry but the information is interesting.

#17 michael star

michael star

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

I'm right there with you OhioGuy. No good programming on tv. About the only thing I watch anymore is PowerBlock on Spike, and I might catch that once a month. I do watch a lot of Youtube videos though.

#18 assasinationday

assasinationday

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

There was a new episode I caught the other day. Two guys from Texas. Guy #1 seemed ok. Obviously he has deep pockets. The goat slaughtering scene with his sons was actually very moving. It was carried out with a lot of reverence and respect. Kids all over the world keep animals and slaughter them and I imagine their first time has to be handled very carefully and I think the father did a good job.

Guy #2, haha...oh man, he was an interesting fellow.

So, when they were up in that enclosed blind and Guy #2 shot his weapon an Guy #1 lost his hearing and started freaking out...that's when it got all sorts of interesting and made-for-tv. I realize Guy #1 was hurting and all, but he really lost his cool and looked like an @ss.

#19 sgcaper

sgcaper

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 40 posts
  • LocationCT

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Yeah he was a real idiot. If he can't handle the rifle rapport how is he supposed to handle Life when the SHTF? All his crying and belly aching. Yes the decibels from gunshots can cause issues but c'mon if you can't handle it stop acting like you're a tough guy.

As far as the goat slaughter. The 6 year old should not have been there. Having studied indigenous groups and having a farmer for a grandfather there are some things you don't do. As a rite of passage for a 12 year old go for it. Most indegenous people do. Till then the little ones are just that little ones. You'll be hard pressed to find real survivalist, meaning indegenous and tribal peoples people who actually survive on skill and knowledge rather than relying on gadgets and gear, involving a small child in any animal slaughter.

#20 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

"Prepping" isn't crazy. The people (most of them) in Doomsday Preppers...are. Like that young girl who thinks the government is going to all of a sudden become tyrannical or those two-Texans who are worried about a Chinese Hoard, similar to the movie Red Dawn.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users