• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 IdahoMike

IdahoMike

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

Does anyone know if there would be any significant difference in using LR as a saline lock flush as opposed to NS? They are both crystalloids and LR is a NS product, so on the surface it would seem that there wouldn't be any significant difference other than the electrolyte enhancement of LR. Or do the electrolytes in LR have a negative effect of keeping the lock open? Anyone with some real world experience that has tried this?

Reasoning behind my question: I prefer the ranger method of vascular access (catheter->saline lock-> tegaderm-> catheter taped down and hooked up to fluids) that way if you have to GTFO, you can pull the second catheter in a split second and still maintain access. SOOOO... in a sense you are maintaining a saline lock with whatever fluid you are currently using.

PROS/CONS?

Any wisdom would be appreciated,

Mike
"The hair on the back of your neck never lies, it never lies"   ~GySgt La Sage

#2 thinbluelion

thinbluelion

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 90 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Absolutely no difference for field medicine- a 5 or 10cc flush with either will do the job the same. I've used saline locks for years and love them. I can easily maintain IV access while moving and extricating my patients without having to worry about any tubing or fluids.

#3 Viking_Doc

Viking_Doc

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

I agree. Its the same shit. As long as there isn't any blood in there to harden up and clog the lock, you will be good to go.

#4 PapaCannoli

PapaCannoli

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

agree

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users