• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 758 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

As I sit and look at my primary rifle I start to think of alternatives and ways to improve it.
My first area of interest is the optic I chose.

I currently have a nice new tan Trijicon TA31ECOS with RMR red-dot on top and I'm debating if I would be better suited to get an EOTech XPS 3-4 with magnifier, or an Aimpoint T-1 with magnifier. Then purchase a long range scope for those times I see 300yards+

I've had EoTechs on my service rifles and my personal rifle and love them, but it sure looks like the big names in AR game like Aimpoints. What is it with the T-1 or some other premium Aimpoint that makes it any better than the EoTech?

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#2 berserkirtec

berserkirtec

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

I was pretty impressed after watching TacTV's Daniel Defense weapon torture test. An Aimpoint T-1 was atop the rifle during all of the testing. I was especially amazed after the rifle was dropped from a helicopter and then blown up. The Aimpoint T-1 optic was a little off and the lense was damaged, but it still worked and allowed for hits on target with the rifle. I plan on ordering an Aimpoint T-1 with a Larue mount very soon.

#3 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 758 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:54 PM

Is TacTV worth the premium membership? I love the stuff on there but I'm always skeptical when I need to drop the coin.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#4 berserkirtec

berserkirtec

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

I don't have a membership. I watched the torture test on Youtube for free. I also Tivo the shows on cable. ;)

#5 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 758 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

What! They are on Cable? Hitting Tivo.com now to set up the season pass.

#6 MP4LM3R

MP4LM3R

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

I do not currently own an AR but my opinion on optics, is the aimpoint T1 micro on mount, that's plenty accurate out 300 m for a static target. I also want to add a 3x magnifier behind that extending my range out to as far as I would reasonably need to engage. The setup is such for 2 reasons, my primary use for the rifle is 50-300m and magnification isn't really necessary for that, also any engagement beyond 300m I am assuming that the 2s (on the long side) it would take to pull the magnifier into position would be availible due to the distance between myself and my target.

Again take with a grain of salt as I do not own that rig or any rifles currently.

#7 MP4LM3R

MP4LM3R

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

Also; I absolutely love your quote.

#8 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 758 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

My buddy Benjamin Franklin has some of the best!

#9 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 578 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

if you can remove the rmr from the top of the acog, then I'd suggest just to get am offset optic mountand place the rmr at the 11 or 1 o'clock position. you'll save a lot of money because all you'll need to buy is the mount. a 4x acog will work fine at the 100+m range.

ITS-Psy-ATACS-sig2_zps3c44c94b.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#10 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 758 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:41 PM

I've considered that very thing but I also considered stripping the RMR off and putting it on my M&P-9,
The company I hear everyone go back to is local to me and I can just drop it off one day.

I'll look into your proposal again, maybe remove it and give it a dry run.

#11 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 272 posts
  • LocationKodiak, AK

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

For what you are talking about i would look at a Vortex PST 1-4 or a vortex Razor 1-6. In one power with the illuminator its almost as good as a red dot but when zoomed in to four you can make hits out to the weapons effective range as the crosshair is far more fine. I have run an EoTech with the EoTech magnifier in the past and the eye relief on it is atrocious and it added a lot of bulk/weight to the rifle. I currently use an Aimpoint H-1 and love it on my carbines I could put rounds into a minute of man target out to 300+. Honestly, if I need to take a shot past that I will use a diffrent rifle. ARs are good guns but like your golf bag you don't play your entire game of golf tee to hole with a 9 iron just like that you don't expect one rifle to do everything perfectly. With that said a solid 1-4 or 1-6 optic will give you all the versititly that you can want it won't be as fast or as light or streamlined as a little aimpoint but they are good options. My work rifle sported a 1.1-4 S&B short dot and regardless of my feelings on the optic/rifle we were able to make relatively accurate hits out past 1000 yards with that setup.

#12 shooterrdy

shooterrdy

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

I think the Aim Point is the way to go but I also like the 1 battery E O tech. with the built in QD mount. I have a Aim Point Comp M4

and have owned E O tech as well both are good sights I also like the real small ACOG with the .223 reticle I am unsure of the name but the smallest ACOG made I think I tried one on a SBR once and It was nice.

#13 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:08 AM

VCOG???  I've got a TA31 Green Horseshoe (no RMR) myself.  I've been kicking around the idea of getting a VCOG.  It doesn't get nearly the battery life of the aimpoints.  But it's a AA battery with about 700 hours on medium brightness.  I'm just not a huge fan of more hardware than necessary.  So I've never been interested in mounting a magnifier behind a red dot.  I just think there's just too many things that can fail with a setup like that.  A variable magnification optic would keep all of the components under one house.  A pair of offset backup sights would finish it off nicely.

Edited by SwatDawg335, 02 February 2014 - 09:11 AM.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Trijicon, Aimpoint, EoTech

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users