• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 juicer5.56

juicer5.56

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Im looking for a fixed blade knife for deployment. Anything out there other than KA-BAR that will meet deployment standards? Nothing against KA-BAR. Just want to knwo what is out there.

#2 renomax

renomax

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 53 posts
  • Locationcentral oklahoma

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:31 AM

The Esee 5 is a knife you may look at . Blade is 1/4 inch thick 1095 carbon steel and is very easy to maintain . The 5 is designed for Military and all Esee knives have a lifetime replacement warranty .

#3 LongHaul

LongHaul

Salty Dog

• 464 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

If money were no object I'd probably own a knife by Jay Fisher. Here is a link to his military and tactical knives. Lot's of cool pictures and knife info. I copied a couple of pictures from his website for your viewing pleasure. Now, if only I had several large piles of money...

Posted Image

Posted Image

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#4 juicer5.56

juicer5.56

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

Renomax, thanks for the info, i will check them out. Long haul, thanks for the pics. They arent really the direct i was thinking but the website you provided has some viable options.

#5 Highwaystreets

Highwaystreets

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 103 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Esee is a great choice. Take a look at benchmade as well.

#6 berserkirtec

berserkirtec

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

If money were no object I'd probably own a knife by Jay Fisher. Here is a link to his military and tactical knives. Lot's of cool pictures and knife info. I copied a couple of pictures from his website for your viewing pleasure. Now, if only I had several large piles of money...

Wow, Mr. Fisher looks like a talented artist. His practical design characteristics are lacking however. If you actually had to stab something or someone the upper guard protruding to the rear would dig into your hand while using a standard or reverse grip. Yikes.

#7 LongHaul

LongHaul

Salty Dog

• 464 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

berserkirtec,

Agreed, they're not the most functional knives out there. I never carry knives as large as the one pictured. Also, I'd have a hard time using a multi-thousand dollar knife the way I use my knives. Don't get me wrong I keep them clean and sharp and don't abuse them unecessarily, but at the end of the day they are tools and I put them to use. Watching a thousand dollar knife get scratched up...

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#8 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 359 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

I carry a Strider DBL.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by jinx667, 09 December 2012 - 09:11 AM.

• LMTGUNNER likes this
Posted Image

#9 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 326 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

That Esee 5 is a good looking blade!
Posted Image

#10 Viking_Doc

Viking_Doc

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

I use this bad boy. It was issued, but if it hadn't been I probably would have gone out and bought it. I am a fan.

Attached Files

• longshot0927 likes this

#11 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 326 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:29 AM

I use this bad boy. It was issued, but if it hadn't been I probably would have gone out and bought it. I am a fan.

That's AWESOME! Are you using the Tanto blade or the other.
Posted Image

#12 Viking_Doc

Viking_Doc

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Not the tanto the straight blade. The thing is almost unbreakable, and the edge outta the box was able to shave my damn face haha.

#13 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

There is just a Plethora of companies. TOPS is nice, so is Chris Reeve. Gerber makes some cheaper ones like the Prodigy and LMF that are Berry Compliant and they have a PRO Purchase Program. Blade H.Q. is a great distributor.
Posted Image

#14 secondstoryguy

secondstoryguy

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:35 PM

Expensive: Contact Kevin McClung at Mad Dog knives and get one of his smaller blades like his Bearcat. Simply the most ergonomic and toughest knives made.

Cheap: An ESEE 3 or 4 fixed blade and a Spyderco Endura for your pocket.

#15 OhioGuy

OhioGuy

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

These should serve you well....

Knives

:beer:

#16 j.k.chan24

j.k.chan24

Life Member

• Crew Leader
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

These should serve you well....

Knives

:beer:

Yeah, those seem to be inexpensive. Honestly, if you lost one, you'd have an extra 50 stowed away. You would need to invest in some spray paint though I'd imagine :cool:
Posted Image

#17 PapaCannoli

PapaCannoli

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:02 AM

Another Good Company is SurviveKnives!. He is a relatively new company so he does not always have a lot in stock. Im not sure if he meet military requirements though.

http://www.surviveknives.com/

Edited by PapaCannoli, 24 December 2012 - 12:03 AM.

#18 CalicoJack

CalicoJack

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 125 posts
  • LocationInland Northwest

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

I've been pretty pleased with my Gerber ASEK or LMF II as it's known now. I bought mine from LAPG probably five years ago, and it has served its time in IRQ as well as my SAR duties. It really takes the abuse, which is what is more likely to be seen on a deployment rather than actual combat use. That being said, I'm sure it will do just fine in that role if necessary.
Posted Image

#19 nroeber78

nroeber78

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 60 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:50 PM

Might check out the "Zeus" from Red Bearded Blades. http://redbeardedbla...zed/zeus-black/ I havent got my Amyntor yet but I've heard good things about his blades on his facebook page...
  • Scot McK likes this

#20 SilentP

SilentP

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

I'm an ESEE guy when it comes to fixed blades... I have a 4CP (they call it a clip point although technically it's a drop point - my only complaint with ESEE :embarassed: ) and an Izula and both are extremely well made. I can't speak highly enough about these work horses. Their Kydex on the 3/4/5 fit nicely onto molle platforms, if you plan on running it that way as I do on my carrier.

But, there are a ton of other great blades out there too... Survive Knives!, like someone else mentioned is a new company but have some great blades.

Go to a shop and play around with a bunch... I have large palms so a lot of knives like the benchmades don't work with me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users