14 replies to this topic

#1 Slipery4life

Slipery4life

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDFW TX

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

A friend said that he has seen people make bow and arrows out of 2x4 glue and some paracord. I am going to try it ill take pics and let you know how it came out and if all goes ok maybe a video or two of me trying to hunt with it so ill keep you post

#2 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Are you sure 2x4? a 4 ft section of 2x4 would be a bit heavy and dry 2x4 might be a bit brittle.

How about a wood, fiberglass or metal rod inside a 1/2" PVC tube?

#3 Slipery4life

Slipery4life

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDFW TX

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

I'm not sure of the specifics I'm looking for more info but that is a good idea for PVC pipe who knows I might make different materials

#4 Mother73

Mother73

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:04 AM

when I was a kid, we use to pull branches off trees and use hay string. can't say they were too great, but if a 5 year old could diy in a field, sure somebody can come up with something pretty sturdy around the house.

#5 Slipery4life

Slipery4life

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDFW TX

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Well should be a experience

#6 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

when I was a kid, we use to pull branches off trees and use hay string. can't say they were too great, but if a 5 year old could diy in a field, sure somebody can come up with something pretty sturdy around the house.

Used green branches to make bows as kids. Paracord might make a nice string.

Here's a youtube video to make a PVC bow.

#7 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:56 PM

Another interesting you tube video

#8 Kenny

Kenny

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 137 posts
  • LocationWatauga, TX

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

A friend said that he has seen people make bow and arrows out of 2x4 glue and some paracord. I am going to try it ill take pics and let you know how it came out and if all goes ok maybe a video or two of me trying to hunt with it so ill keep you post

Are you friends with MacGyver?
  • Travislg likes this
Posted Image

"Semper Fidelis - Always Faithful. Semper Erectus - Always Hard"

#9 Slipery4life

Slipery4life

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 56 posts
  • LocationDFW TX

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

I wish they glued two piece of oak together with gorilla glue then they used a hand planer to smooth out the edges until it has the shape you want then cut out the notches and string
  • creding likes this

#10 Archangel1

Archangel1

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 236 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

I wish they glued two piece of oak together with gorilla glue then they used a hand planer to smooth out the edges until it has the shape you want then cut out the notches and string

Sorry. A bit more to it than that.

#11 Travislg

Travislg

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

I have some limited knowledge of bow making and have tried a few times at making my own. but as far as I can tell, speaking in a improvised mind set a green branch is going to be your best shot. and the paracord guts would make a great string(that one I have tried). But if you are speaking in a more permanent mindset then there is ALOT more to it sadly and I am still working on make my first bow that doesn't explode on the first draw.
Posted Image

#12 HenrikPopowski

HenrikPopowski

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Hello Members,

A bow increases the range at which you can successfully hunt and put meat into the cook pot. However, the purpose of the bow is to deliver the arrow. The arrow does the job of bringing down the game. The bow is just the delivery device.

Thanks and Regards,
Henrik Popowski

menseffects.com

#13 KeithG077

KeithG077

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 29 posts
  • LocationYoungstown Ohio

Posted 24 February 2013 - 05:31 PM

I agree with Mr. Popowski. You can have the most expensive high quality bow but if you are trying to fire a crooked twig it will NOT fly straight or do the job that was intended. The bow that I use is a 30 year old recurve bow that belonged to my uncle. With decent arrows it works very well.

#14 tumbleweed

tumbleweed

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 158 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

I'm not sure of the specifics I'm looking for more info but that is a good idea for PVC pipe who knows I might make different materials

There is a you tube and a free amazon book on PVC bows. Not hard to make.
Posted Image
Carpe Ductem!
Oath Keeper

#15 Armitage12

Armitage12

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 137 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:47 PM

How much power could such an improvised bow really deliver? I would think you'd be limited to small game unless you could control the power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users