11 replies to this topic

#1 Sir_Peter

Sir_Peter

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

Hello: Putting together some kits for some of my shooting friends and wondering what everyone's input is on the SWAT-T Tourniquet.

I'm looking for a basic beginners/entry level TQ that is not too expensive.

I'm thinking of adding this TQ along with some other blow-out supplies to kits that I can keep in my various shooting bags and give to my shooting friends as well.

A few of my friends don't even keep any type of med kits in with their shooting gear and i'm guessing that this TQ is better then not having a TQ

any advice would be appreciative.

Thanks
Peter

#2 LongHaul

LongHaul

Salty Dog

• 411 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

Sir_Peter,

Do your friends have any first aid or medical training? It's a great idea to have some medical supplies on hand, but I'd be concerned about providing tourniquets to people that aren't familiar with their limitations and dangers. If you can provide some instruction to your friends on the components of the blowout kits you're assembling that would help a lot. That said the SWAT-T Tourniquet is included in the ITS Tactical EDC Trauma Kit and seems to be a good tool for a lightweight cost effective solution. The EDC Trauma Kit would be a great item to carry while on the range. I'd definitely want to make sure that everyone applying tourniquets had some training first.

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 Sir_Peter

Sir_Peter

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 6 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:36 PM

I didn't realize that the SWAT-T was included in the EDC Trauma kit - I already have a few of the components that i'm thinking of giving out, so the purchase of the EDC would be a good idea in the future.

Basic First Aid training is known by a few of the guys, but anything advanced beyond that is not known to me.

One of the things I liked about the SWAT-T was that it could also be used as a pressure bandage - and i'm sure the same could probably be said about using an ace bandage as well.

Right now I've got Israeli and Olaes Bandages, H&H Gauze rolls and was thinking of the SWAT-T as just a basic starter to each persons blow out kit for their range bags.

I know that Wal-Mart carried an inexpensive version of Quik-Clot Basic at one time, so I need to see if they still carry it.

Hoping that some night as a group we can all sit down and work on adding and updating our own bags.

This is usually a group of 6-8 guys that I constantly shoot with, so it would be nice to see if everyone would continue to upgrade their bags as well as their own medical training

Thanks
Peter

#4 jhclouse

jhclouse

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Sir Peter,

Before you buy any additional medical gear, invest in training! Where ever you are, I'm sure there is a course near by.
The bottom line is, these things aren't magic, so if you don't know how to use them correctly they're just extra weight...and you could hurt someone.
I've only been doing this trauma medicine thing for the last 30yrs, but in my opinion, you do a lot better with training than without...

jc
  • Psybain and j.k.chan24 like this

#5 Viking_Doc

Viking_Doc

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Check out the CAT, or combat application tourniquet. One of my favorites. As for your blow out kits, the Israeli bandages and gauze are always a good call. I would look into some sort of occlusive bandages for sucking chest wounds. You don't have to get fancy as a plastic bag and some duct tape will deliver the same end result. Kerlex and ace wraps are very powerful tools to have.
I agree with the previous posters on the need for training. Medical training is something that will always pay off. There is nothing worse than standing around not knowing what to do when your buddy is fucked up. That being said, there is an old stigmata surrounding the use of tourniquets in the civilian world that is rapidly going away. After the last ten years of combat and the countless lives saved by the use of tourniquets in the hands of basically trained servicemen and women, they have proven extremely useful.

#6 WarrenPeace

WarrenPeace

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 121 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

I agree with the 'seek training' notion above. Not sure how big your team is, or what threat environment you are going to be operating in, but TC3 (Tactical Combat Casualty Care) training would probably go a long way.

That said, we used SOF-T tourneys -- they can be deployed quickly and with one hand for self-tourneying. Some of the ITS alliance vendors may sell it, or you can just google SOF-T and find it. (EDIT/UPDATE -- ITS sells SOF-T's in the online shop.)

Finally, I or someone else on here, can probably put you in touch with a training cadre for the TC3 training if it is something you and your team want. My guys require a minimum group of 6 to put on the course. Not sure on the cost, but can find out for you.

Edited by WarrenPeace, 14 December 2012 - 10:43 AM.

Posted Image

#7 PapaCannoli

PapaCannoli

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

Most produced TQ are fine for use. It all depends on how comfortable you are using them. I have only used the Sof-T in training. The CAT and other similar are my preferance, they just seem more sturdy.

All that being said. With the right training and the ability to improvise you can do the same thing with a cravat and a pen/pencil. When it comes to Medical, training and the ability to improvise is key.

#8 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:01 PM

CAT, SOF-T, and SWAT-T are all great. If you want to know some lesser known ones, there's the Cav Arms Slick Tourniquet, Combat Kit.net's M1 and M2 (NATO) Tourniquets and there is the Mcmillan Tourniquet from CSM Gear. Hope this Helps.
Posted Image

#9 M-Ful

M-Ful

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 23 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:54 PM

If you want to you can make one using a few multi purpose items you could easily have all the time and theyre pretty cheap, I got this from one of Paul Gomezs videos: climing caribiner, key ring, and a military cravat or oversized bandana long enough to fit around the upper thigh and be tied.
1. Run the cravat through the key ring and slide to the side
2. Tie the caribiner down on the top side with a secure knot
3. Torque the caribiner down as tight as needed
4. Clip the caribiner into the key ring to kepp in place

Heres his video

• thinbluelion likes this

#10 scrooks298

scrooks298

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 09:12 PM

I forgot to Mention one I know. There is the Cinch TQ. http://cinchtq.com/s...0&bestseller=Y.
Posted Image

#11 EmbraceTheSuck

EmbraceTheSuck

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:13 PM

You might be interested in this recent article about tourniquets http://privatebloggins.ca/?p=704

FYI Private Bloggins is the blog for http://www.ctoms.ca/home, CTOMS is a Canadian company that focuses primarily on combat med training and gear. I have no association with them.
Posted Image

#12 Saint-Tyr

Saint-Tyr

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Our EMS unit uses the MAT Mechanical Advantage Tourniquet and the CAT Tourniquet! Both are great products but I think it comes down to the person being comfortable with using the device. I would suggest buying both and testing them out under stress first before going all in! I personally like the MAT for quick deployment and that a child can tighten it down easier than the CAT. You never know who or where the device will be used. Just a thought...

Stay Safe!
Posted Image
"Don't give up the ship"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users