9 replies to this topic

#1 hombre gris

hombre gris

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

I'm in the planning stages of building my first AR-15. This will be a primary self/home defense tool, but will also be in my vehicle when traveling long distances. It is not intended to be a hunting or target rifle. I am having a hard time deciding on how I want to pursue the build. Most of this may be purely cosmetic, but I am looking for suggestions.

I'm planning on using a Spikes Punisher or Calico Jack lower and am currently leaning toward a 14.5" barrel with a pinned flash hider using a mid-length gas system. One of the things I can't decide on is using the standard front sight or using folding front and rear sights.

I'm planning on this being an all black rifle and I'm sure I will be asking for other opinions as this progresses and I think more about it.

I'm interested in hearing opinions or the barrel and sights.

Thanks,

#2 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 753 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

To answer your question about the front and rear sights.
If its sole purpose is to be there when you 100% need it than a standard front sight is the best route. Pop-up sights like the MagPul MBUS and others will likely work 100% of the time but with anything that is more complex and has moving parts there is a chance of failure.

Pop-up sights will make it more compact (albeit only by an inch and a half) and I personally have enough faith in the products from MagPul, Troy and others that I wouldn't kick them to the curb just because there is that "Chance of failure".

If it's a safe queen don't spend the added money on high end optics. Buy something inexpensive that doesn't depend on batteries.
  • river likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 river

river

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 21 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:42 AM

Look at Diamondhead sights. I have a pair and think they are the Aggie's Yell. I get on target quicker with them which is what I want for closer range shots most fo the time. YMMV
I am curious as to what other components you will be dressing it out with...charging handle...etc. Several companies are makign the world a more interesting place with their thought out designs.

#4 hombre gris

hombre gris

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:00 AM

If it's a safe queen don't spend the added money on high end optics. Buy something inexpensive that doesn't depend on batteries.

I have no intention of this being a safe queen. Optics will be considered further down the road after I get this built and have had a chance to shoot it with the iron sights. I don't want to spend the money on optics until I have more experience with the rifle.

#5 hombre gris

hombre gris

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:02 AM

Look at Diamondhead sights. I have a pair and think they are the Aggie's Yell. I get on target quicker with them which is what I want for closer range shots most fo the time. YMMV
I am curious as to what other components you will be dressing it out with...charging handle...etc. Several companies are makign the world a more interesting place with their thought out designs.

I've never heard of Diamondhead sights, I'll look into these.

Other components: I haven't given a lot of thought to this, but I'm considering a Magpul milspec CTR stock, and BCM Gunfighter charging handle. I'm open to suggestions.

#6 Highwaystreets

Highwaystreets

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

The magpul stock will be good as well as the bcm charging handle..... As far as everything else your budget will mainly dictate what kind of components and parts you put on it. Do your research and take your time

#7 hombre gris

hombre gris

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

With recent events I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have. I'm now wondering if I should just go ahead and buy a complete rifle.

#8 Highwaystreets

Highwaystreets

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:21 PM

With recent events I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have. I'm now wondering if I should just go ahead and buy a complete rifle.

Nothing wrong with that, lots of beauties out there. Thing that attracts me to making my own is being able to break up the cost of the rifle, $100 here, $400 there. It's easier for me to manage financially.

#9 hombre gris

hombre gris

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

...Thing that attracts me to making my own is being able to break up the cost of the rifle, $100 here, $400 there. It's easier for me to manage financially.

That is my main reason for wanting to build my own along with the fact of the knowledge I'd gain in the process.

#10 Highwaystreets

Highwaystreets

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

That is my main reason for wanting to build my own along with the fact of the knowledge I'd gain in the process.

Yep me as well, always satisfying to learn something and put it together yourself!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users