3 replies to this topic

#1 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 717 posts
  • LocationDE

Posted 20 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

This post is in conjunction with the site article: Ten Essentials for a Summer Day Hike

My Gear List

Now that you know what bases you need to cover, here is an idea of what I personally bring on my day hikes. Again though, this varies based on weather conditions but imagine it's a typical summer day.

Posted Image

Bag
GORUCK GR1

Navigation
Suunto M-3D compass
Trail Map

Sun Protection
GORUCK TAC Hat
Randolph Engineering Aviators

Insulation
Outdoor Research Helium jacket

Illumination
SureFire Minimus

First Aid
Small kit in ziploc bag
EDC Trauma Kit

Fire
TAD Survival Spark
Tinder-Quik fire tabs

Repair
Micro roll of duct tape
15-20 feet of orange paracord

Food
Trail mix or energy bars

Water
3L Source Hydration bladder

Shelter
Nothing. I would find natural shelter or build my own.

Clothing
It's worth mentioning again that you should look for clothes that both breathe easily and wick moisture away from your body. Cotton is not a material that does that. Below is a list of what I've been wearing and really liking recently.

Shirt:
Outdoor Research Growler Shirt. I really like this shirt because it's technical without looking like it is. Being a blend of nylon and polyester, it wicks moisture away and it breathes really well.

Pants:
Outdoor Research Treadway Convert Pants. They're comfortable in material and movement and zip-off into shorts if things get hot. They also shed water well if you get caught in a sudden downpour.

Footwear and Socks:
This all depends on the trail. Some day hikes I go on only require running shoes and others are better suited for boots.

If I can get away with running shoes, I prefer a pair of Balega low cut socks. I just love how comfortable and cushioned they are.

When I wear my Lowa Renegade hiking boots, I'll go with a light or medium weight pair of SmartWool PhD socks.

Extras

Pocket Knife
Benchmade Mini Griptilian

Notebook and Pen
Field Notes Expedition Notebook
Pen Project [space pen]

Signaling
MPIL

Survival Kit
Pocket Survival Pak Plus

What do you carry?
  • WarrenPeace and Superman like this

#2 Nathan Hutchings

Nathan Hutchings

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

I roll pretty much the same gear. However, living in Tucson I encounter far to many people hiking in the desert summer and winter who didn't go prepared. So I carry several bottles of water, gatorades type mixes, chews and enough energy bars / candy to give away to others. Also ITS Oral IV, a small tarp and paracord to build a sun block.
  • mikejulietpapa likes this

#3 MikeB

MikeB

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

Hey Mike, nice article. I wanted to chime in here since I live in southern California where rattlesnakes are a common sight in the back country. I always carry a snake bite kit. It seems to me that when you're 1.5 to 2.5 hours from the trail head, having to hike out before you can treat a rattlesnake bite is not a high survivability scenario. I also like to carry a whistle for signaling and an air horn because I hear that mountain lions don’t pay much attention to bear bells… for whatever it’s worth.

#4 Lao

Lao

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 336 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

Hey Mike, where do you do most of your day hikes?? I like hitting Great Falls every now and then.
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hiking, day hike, summer, outdoors

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users