• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Dax Murray

Dax Murray

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

So my question is, does wearing hard-knuckled gloves make sense in a combat/self defense situstuation? Honestly, I've never been in a fist fight, but I've heard you can mess your hands up by punching someone. So it makes sense to me that in a combat/ self defense or martial law type situation, breaking your hand would really put a damper on your ability to stay alive or function.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on this? Is this why some pics I see of guys in the military show them wearing hard knuckled gloves?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it seemed like a valid one to me.

Thanks guys!

#2 Scot McK

Scot McK

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

Well I am not the end all be all tactical ninja, but would you have time to put them on? If you did should you be there in the first place (barring your occupation). I like the theory of hard weapon to soft target and vice versa as a rule of thumb. I have asked the question prior and had no really good answer regarding broken hands or knuckles. How bad would it have to be for it not to work? I understand it will hurt like a sumbitch, but can you still pull a trigger etc. Or how bad does the break have to be before you cannot physically do so?
Posted Image

#3 Dax Murray

Dax Murray

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

I was thinking more of a situation where you would already be wearing them. Now I wouldn't go around wearing them, for myself I was thinking more of a scenario where a natural disaster or anything else that people prepare for might happen. As in, a time where bad things are happening ( looting, attacks, etc.), not just walking around as part of my EDC.

Maybe I should have just asked this question: Would hard knuckled gloves actually protect your hands in a fight?

I understand it will hurt like a sumbitch, but can you still pull a trigger etc. Or how bad does the break have to be before you cannot physically do so?

I really don't know if you could hurt your hand bad enough punching someone that you couldn't pull a trigger, but it seems to me that breaking any bone in your hands wouldn't really help you out.

#4 Scot McK

Scot McK

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 154 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

Agree with the last statement. For me it would be a dexterity vs usefulness tradeoff. I can only suppose they are used like knee pads to protect in a dynamic and hostile environment. I am sure they would not hurt to have if you went hands on and chose to punch. I would really have to let those who have more knowledge comment.
Posted Image

#5 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,573 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

I've had my fair share of fist fights and I think yes, they would help.

But Scot McK's last post sums it up, those types of gloves are more for protecting your knuckles from scrapes like kneepads.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#6 Dax Murray

Dax Murray

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 05:58 PM

Yeah that totally makes sense. Thanks guys!

#7 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,850 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:57 AM

I wear hard knuckle gloves often and I don't do it for self defense, that was never my intention with them.

When I am pushing myself I don't like to slow down to make sure my knuckles are not going to hit something.
I use them like any other PPE and I find when I throw the rifle against the ground, a tree, an obstacle (especially cinder block) I don't get timid when my hands are covered, less so when my knuckles are protected.

And I think that is where their primary use is, as Personal Protective Equipment, much like as Scot stated above; knee or elbow pads. Could they be used to defend yourself if it got personal, absolutely but that was not their primary purpose.

I've worn a cheap pair of hard knuckle gloves and I'm certain if I had to use them to hit someone that my knuckles would have come away bloody, not the dudes face.
  • davebass likes this

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#8 Dax Murray

Dax Murray

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:03 AM

Yeah I totally get what you mean about being able to move faster when you don't have to worry about hurting your hands. Just from working in machine/fabrication shops I know that PPE like gloves really help you to get the job done faster since you don't have to worry about being injured handling the material. So it makes total since to me that hard knuckled gloves would help you get the job done faster in a "combat" (or training or whatever) situation. IMO just that advantage would be enough of a reason to wear such gloves...

• mysteriousjl likes this

#9 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,573 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:39 AM

6 years of turning wrenches on aircraft and I think the only times I have worn gloves is when I was chaining down aircraft or it was so cold frostbite started settling in on your hands in minutes.

VQz5Nwz.png

#10 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,850 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:18 PM

6 years of turning wrenches on aircraft and I think the only times I have worn gloves is when I was chaining down aircraft or it was so cold frostbite started settling in on your hands in minutes.

I think it's your job though mangeface that allows you to comfortably go without gloves.... Me? my hands are delicate =D I wear gloves for everything.. taking the garbage out, working on my car, any time I have to handle something less than sanitary such as a community tool or publicly used utensil like a gas pump.
Being a germ-a-phoebe will do that to you I guess. *i'm not proud of it*

Edited by DStevenson, 27 September 2013 - 12:19 PM.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

#11 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,573 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 27 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

I think it's your job though mangeface that allows you to comfortably go without gloves.... Me? my hands are delicate =D I wear gloves for everything.. taking the garbage out, working on my car, any time I have to handle something less than sanitary such as a community tool or publicly used utensil like a gas pump.
Being a germ-a-phoebe will do that to you I guess. *i'm not proud of it*

Very true. I've busted my knuckles so much I can't keep my hands as steady as I used to, but my hands are tough as nails.

Being a germ-a-phobe isn't a bad thing. I wash my hands all the time and keep hand sanitizer with me. It's just being clean.

VQz5Nwz.png

#12 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

I have them for protecting my knuckles from getting banged up when it comes to a fist fight they would be great although if I come to hitting someone with my fist things have gotten really bad as generally when I have the gloves on i am also running a rifle my rifle currently has a muzzle break with strike bezel for extra 'persuasion' I also carry a knife weak side in the event it gets close and nasty. That being said I would rather punch someone wearing hard knuckles then bare handed.

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#13 sheepdog604

sheepdog604

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

I have the HWI CG100 combat gloves and I use the gloves during work or other errands. I stopped using closed fist strikes and have been using palm strikes and other open handed strikes. Only for body shots I use closed fist strikes. Plus I like my hands

#14 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

We all bought the Oakley knuckle gloves (thanks Standard Issue!) for work at the SO, and of course all the command staff flipped their lids! What had to be shown to them was that the knuckle guard was behind/over the knuckle and not in front of the knuckle. They were awesome for when you were blading a corner and racked your hand against the door jam, not busting some dude in the face. I have a set of the mechanics gloves on order now that have the softer knuckle guard for more "appropriate" professional standards. :beat:

Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#15 B3dlam

B3dlam

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,064 posts
  • LocationWarrenton, OR

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

We all bought the Oakley knuckle gloves (thanks Standard Issue!) for work at the SO, and of course all the command staff flipped their lids! What had to be shown to them was that the knuckle guard was behind/over the knuckle and not in front of the knuckle. They were awesome for when you were blading a corner and racked your hand against the door jam, not busting some dude in the face. I have a set of the mechanics gloves on order now that have the softer knuckle guard for more "appropriate" professional standards. :beat:

Because we all know its acceptable to face shoot someone...but not to face PUNCH them... I got told at one point I couldn't have a fixed blade knife on my gun belt at work because it was basically too 'scary' I asked if the gun didn't sort of trump any knife i may carry...short of a crocodile Dundee bowie of course. 

• PsychoFish and MightyP like this

itstacticalsig_zpsb04268f7.jpg

#16 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,922 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 23 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

Yeah, people just don't keep things in perspective like they should. 

89BccLb.png

#17 thevulpini

thevulpini

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 21 posts
  • LocationRichmond, CA

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:09 PM

I'm sort of on the fence with hard knuckle gloves, the concept I believe works,

at the same time I'm thinking okay and what happens when you use these gloves everyday

and they begin to get worn and fabric spreads, the knuckles won't be fitting right and your

knuckles are going to end up worse than they would be with regular.

I'm also thinking it depends what brand you're going after, the extra padding on the knuckles

I think is the best route rather than carbon fiber.

This is all just speculation though...

I do think they're bad ass.

#18 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:36 PM

Not hard knuckle, but relevant.

Magpul just announced these:

https://www.magpul.c...e-patrol-gloves
  • Psybain likes this

#19 DStevenson

DStevenson

Salty Dog

• 1,850 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:04 AM

Was talking with a friend of mine about the new Magpul gloves, look like a SKD PIG ripoff to me.

I'll stick with my Oakleys and SKD's.

• pira114 likes this

#20 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:55 AM

Was talking with a friend of mine about the new Magpul gloves, look like a SKD PIG ripoff to me.
I'll stick with my Oakleys and SKD's.

Love my PIGS. No plan to replace them. The big difference here is padded knuckles. But that's not something I'm worried about so I'll likely not try them unless I come across a great deal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users