35 replies to this topic

#1 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 809 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

Didn't know where to post this, so figured it could go in here.

What's everyone running as far as a SHTF ammo stash? And what are people's recommended minimums?

Personally I'm working up to a goal of 1,000 HP rounds per handgun (3 in .40 and 1 in .45), and 1,000 good rounds for the rifle, and 1,000 00 Buck and 1,000 Slug for the shotgun. This is the low end as far as a SHTF stash, as I've seen some people who have what amounts to an Ammo Supply Point like on the military bases in their house. Good for them.

Anything after that will just be plinking ammo that I can stockpile. Usually I buy Winchester White Box .40 180 gr, .45 230 gr, and 55gr .223. Locally it sells for 319 per 1k of 40, 339 per 1k of 45, and little over 500 per 1k of .223. Lucky Gunner doesn't have any of it in stock and I've yet to find more M855 on there that isn't the Lake City garbage.

I have a decent supply of M855 for the rifle, and an obnoxious amount of birdshot, but need good "offensive" ammo for the weapons. I hate using the term "defensive" to describe guns and ammo because there's nothing defensive about shooting someone.
  • mangeface likes this

TBL-2.png

In Memory Of Our Fallen - OEF - Afghanistan - Lima VIII

Rest Easy Brothers, We'll Take It From Here. We'll Keep The Light Burning.

#2 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 1,740 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:47 AM

I have in the neighborhood of 7,000 rounds of 5.45x39, Russian steel cored surplus. I have about 500 rounds of Blazer Brass 9mm FMJs. Then I have around 150 00 buckshot for my shotgun, Federal made military surplus.

I wouldn't know what to say is good minimums. I have 7,000 rounds and could burn through all of them in SHTF, or thug life down the ways could get lucky and pop me off before I fire a single round (although I doubt the 2nd scenario).

My guess would be 2,000-3,000 for rifle, 500 for pistol, cause that's a last ditch firearm to me, meaning you're out of rifle ammo and there's nothing else to go 'bang' and probably 500 shells for a shotgun.

But those estimates are only for SHTF, each situation would mean different needs. Like if I had a suppressed pistol and not a suppressed rifle, I would want more than just 500 rounds of ammo for the pistol.

Edited by mangeface, 13 October 2013 - 07:59 AM.

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#3 Scimitar

Scimitar

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 35 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 17 October 2013 - 03:45 PM

As an aside to this topic, does anyone keep their ammo cans locked? I use MTM cans, and am debating the necessity of locking them. My kids are grown, so there aren't any little ones who could get into them (they're hidden, anyway). Plus they are plastic, so if anyone really wanted to get into them, they could just cut them apart.
Semper Gumby...Always Flexible

#4 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 809 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 17 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

I don't, mostly because if I need access to the can, I need it now, not a few seconds from now. Also like you said, if someone really wants what's in the can, they'll get to it eventually. One of the firemen at work recently had his house robbed. The robbers ripped the safe out from the wall it was bolted to. So it's all in how much the bad guy wants your stuff.

TBL-2.png

#5 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 1,740 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:02 PM

I have 4 sealed 1,080 round 'spam cans'. My other ammo, approximately 3,000 rounds, stripped down to loose pack in 7.62x51 ammo cans or loaded in magazines. My pistol and shotgun ammo is always stripped down into ammo cans.

#6 SacRyan

SacRyan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 104 posts
  • LocationUT

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

Tangental to this, what does everyone keep magged-up for the SHTF right now problems. It's all well and good that you have a million rounds in sealed cans for long term storage but what are you keeping ready for the fight?

Personally, every mag I own is loaded to capacity leaving the range and stays that way until used or brought out for training. However, my mag counts are pathetic (but steadily increasing paycheck by paycheck).

#7 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 546 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:04 PM

I have 4 loaded mags for my AR, 2 for my G19 plus two happy sticks, one in my G34 plus it shares the same mags as the 19, 2 for my G26, one in my Bodyguard, one in my CX4. Prettymuch anything I grab will go boom.

#8 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 1,740 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

I have 14 AK-74 mags fully loaded and 6 G17 mags loaded. I have 20 AR mags, but no rifle or ammo for them...yet.

But every single mag I have a firearm and/or ammo for is topped off.

As SacRyan stated, every paycheck I pick up 1 or 2 more 74 mags until I get my mag count to 20.

Edited by mangeface, 19 October 2013 - 08:40 AM.

#9 Klarktx

Klarktx

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 191 posts
  • LocationFlowery Branch, Ga

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:08 PM

I have between 8000-9000 combined rounds. I keep them in a top open deep freezer ( unplugged) in my garage. Its covered with what looks like junk...but all light weigh, and easy to clear off if needed. The insulation and top seal proved create climate control. Several packs of dessicant throughout. Its also very non descript to any intruders ( unless they are hungry).
Inside I have about 30 loaded Pmags, a dozen misc loaded pistol mags and 2 mag loaded tac vests on top for quick access an deployment as needed.

Just hope it never comes to needing it....

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#10 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 809 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

I have 14 AK-74 mags fully loaded and 6 G17 mags loaded. I have 20 AR mags, but no rifle or ammo for them...yet.

But every single mag I have a firearm and/or ammo for is topped off.

As SacRyan stated, every paycheck I pick up 1 or 2 more 74 mags until I get my mag count to 20.

You didn't hear? You need at least 100 mags.

In all honesty I am a magazine whore of epic proportions.
  • Millertime1103 likes this

TBL-2.png

#11 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 809 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

Tangental to this, what does everyone keep magged-up for the SHTF right now problems. It's all well and good that you have a million rounds in sealed cans for long term storage but what are you keeping ready for the fight?

Personally, every mag I own is loaded to capacity leaving the range and stays that way until used or brought out for training. However, my mag counts are pathetic (but steadily increasing paycheck by paycheck).

Almost every magazine I own is loaded (and there are a few). If a magazine isn't loaded, it's because I have no ammo to load it with. An empty magazine is useless unless you're running drills and shit.

I have a zombie bag that is setup for immediate deployment once I grab my rifle (already has 9 PMAGs and a pistol w/ 12 mags in it), and 2 plate carriers/belts that are setup for immediate deployment. There's also a chest rig loaded and both carriers and the chest rig also have shotgun pouches if I decide to grab my shotgun.

One plate carrier carries 3 PMAGs w/ 3 pistol mags on top, the other carrier carries 5 PMAGs w/ 5 pistol mags on top & one in an admin pouch, and the chest rig carries 8 PMAGs w/ 6 pistol mags. Both belts each carry 2 handgun mags, and 4 PMAGs on the 1st line.

I also recently bought a 5.11 All Hazards Prime pack that has 2 ammo mules in it. 20 PMAGs, MREs, chemlights, several IFAKs, water bottles, poleless litter, and 12 handgun mags. This is separate from the zombie bag above.

All remaining loose magazines are packed into small bags for ease of portability and transport.

Edited by Jersey0311, 20 October 2013 - 12:26 PM.

TBL-2.png

#12 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 1,740 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:03 PM

You didn't hear? You need at least 100 mags.

In all honesty I am a magazine whore of epic proportions.

Well, when mags for my rifle are running around $40 a piece, eek to that number. I regret not getting more back when I first bought my rifle. I could get Bulgarian double circle 10s and 21s for $15 a piece.

#13 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 809 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:15 PM

Well, when mags for my rifle are running around $40 a piece, eek to that number. I regret not getting more back when I first bought my rifle. I could get Bulgarian double circle 10s and 21s for $15 a piece.

You and I have opposite problems. Mags are now coming down in price thankfully, but ammo is still a PITA. It's there, but I'm hard pressed to pay the obscene prices.

My stash is mostly green tip, with some 55 gr Winchester White Box, but I after I buy my next AR (LWRC), I want to buy an AK for the sole purpose of that they eat the steel cased commie ammo and it's way cheaper. Too bad the steel mags are expensive. I refuse to use Tapco or ProMag AK mags. Never had anything but bad experiences with those mags.

TBL-2.png

#14 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 1,740 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:33 PM

You and I have opposite problems. Mags are now coming down in price thankfully, but ammo is still a PITA. It's there, but I'm hard pressed to pay the obscene prices.

My stash is mostly green tip, with some 55 gr Winchester White Box, but I after I buy my next AR (LWRC), I want to buy an AK for the sole purpose of that they eat the steel cased commie ammo and it's way cheaper. Too bad the steel mags are expensive. I refuse to use Tapco or ProMag AK mags. Never had anything but bad experiences with those mags.

I won't touch anything Tapco or ProMag. I'm about to start buying up some 5.56 and prepping to get an AR-15. But I'm not sure I want to do that or overhaul my AK with some goodies first.

#15 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 809 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:13 PM

If I were to get an AK, I wouldn't know whether to get the 47 or the 74. Also are there any reliable polymer AK mags on the market besides Tapco and ProMag? I saw a random brand at a gun show yesterday that I'd never heard of, don't remember the name though.

Also I'd need to modernize the AK with rails, RDS, light, collapsible stock, sling/mounts, and foregrip. I know, I know, it's heresy.

TBL-2.png

#16 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 1,740 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

Bakelite and Bulgarians. Polymer with steel reinforced feed lips. Both will run you money though. Brand new Bulgarians will run about $40 right now. People are wanting the same for used, but screw that.

You can tell Bakelites by them being brown. Bulgarians will be marked with a 10 or 21 with 2 circles around it.

The modernised look is something I'm thinking about doing to mine. I want to do an AK-12 look to mine, Midwest quad rail, Krebs rear sight/rail upgrade, Magpul UBR stock and if time and money allows, Gemtech suppressor.

#17 Scot McK

Scot McK

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 142 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

I just started using the US Palm mags with my AK. They run about $30 and appear to work well, the stress testing will begin soon. I have only function checked them. I am running the Midwest rail system that has a primary arms red dot on it and it 1/3 cowitnesses the XO big dots. HSP thorntail mount with a surefire on it as well.
Posted Image

#18 ALPHA MIKE

ALPHA MIKE

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 35 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

I would say I'm more pistol than rifle heavy, which I'm now realizing isn't optimal. But I got .22 for days.

@ Jersey0311 are you from Jersey?

In this suck state we can't have pistol mags with more than 10 rounds, and I think AR Mags can only have 5 rounds (which I why I've yet to pick an AR). Even the BX-25/50 mags for the Ruger 10/22 are outlawed.

#19 Jersey0311

Jersey0311

Bullets and Bandages

• Crew Leader
  • 809 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

NJ bans mags that hold more than 15 rounds. So your handgun can have a max of 15 round mags. Same goes for AR mags. You can pick up pinned PMAGs which is what I did. But you can definitely have more than 10 rounds.

It sucks, but it is what it is.

TBL-2.png

#20 ALPHA MIKE

ALPHA MIKE

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 35 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

After writing that post, I did some research and found out that you can have 15-round mags in pistols. But I'm suprised to hear that goes for AR's as well. I could have sworn it was 5 round mags for the AR. Obviously I've been misinformed.

I went to look at an AR last month in PA, and was dissapointed when I saw the "jersey legal" AR compared to what's legal in Pennsylvania. But it looks like I'm stuck here in the Garden State since I'm not about to up and sell my house just for more firepower (the wife would never agreee to that). But I can live with 15 rounds. Now I need to go do some shopping.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users