1 reply to this topic

#1 thegouldii

thegouldii

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:06 PM

Hey again all, 

Firstly I did search within the Forum of '3D' with no results, which at first surprised me, but with that, am curious to know of any 3D print 'builds' that anyone has used successfully (and not blown up in your face or arms) ?

In the field of 'Improvised Weapons' is this an area, you think maybe growing in the future?

#2 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 23 February 2017 - 12:02 AM

3D printing is still kind of a niche thing, especially for weaponry. I don't remember the name but there was some sort of message board dedicated to such pursuits, and (if I remember correctly) there are a few designs that were sort of successful (they didn't blow up). The down side is that they are all single shot, some are durable enough for multiple consecutive shots, but they're still slow manual load designs, and only good for a max of 7-8 shots or .22lr. The other downside is that it takes days of printing to lay down enough plastic. Eventually technology will make this a more realistic venture. One company did successfully build a steel 1911 using a DMLS printer, but that's far out of the hobbyists reach.

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users