17 replies to this topic

#1 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,573 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 11 April 2017 - 01:15 AM

Hey ITSers,

I'm looking for some recommendations on dieting programs. Here's my situation: I'm working swing shift (1500-2330 or 0130 as req'd), so eating out is basically taking its toll (shitty fast food). My cooking skills are above average, so I'm not afraid of taking on a kitchen. My big thing is I'm not looking for a salad/gluten free type of diet. Just flow charts and anything else that has meal plans that members have used and know they work.

Thanks everyone,

mangeface

"I may walk among the sheep...but make no mistake, I am the sheepdog."
VQz5Nwz.png

#2 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 11 April 2017 - 04:24 AM

I went through the same thing. Was always on nights, but responsibilities changed and found myself sitting a lot, eating fast food, and just plain out getting lazy.

My solution is not what you're asking for. But since this is the internet, you'll get it anyway. Someone has to be the guy who answers in a way not asked for.

I'll start with my snacks because they're not the part that you didn't ask for. I keep Epic Bars in my bag always. Sometimes I'll throw one in a cargo pocket if I won't be at my station. Pure dead animal protien. Taste great and way healthier than the typical protien bars. Those typical protien bars are usually filled with sugar and chemicals I can't pronounce. Epic bars are 99% dead animal. Some have a bit of sugar, but not many of them. Sugar is our worst enemy, but small amounts won't kill ya. Price is actually comparable to the average protien bar out there, and even cheaper than the higher end ones. More on price later.

The other snack is a trail mix type thing from Happy Belly. Almonds, cashews, raisins, dates, etc.. Many flavor combos, including a couple with yogurt or chocolate chips. Not as healthy, but they taste better. Nutrition value of these are excellent, even factoring in the sugar of the candies. And price is about the best you'll find for healthy nuts. 1/4 cup a day is all I have.

Now the part you didn't ask for. Salads. I make my whole weeks worth of salads at once. They comprise the bulk of my food now. Spinach, kale, cauliflower, blue berries, carrots, collard greens, mustard greens, etc... Some combo of all those. Huge servings. I use the food savor plastic containers and seal them. With a fridge at work, they've stayed fresh over a week. 1.5 quart container and I fill it. That's a lot of salad. You can add egg or meat to get more protien too, but I add those when I'm ready to eat. Dressing is olive oil, MCT oil, and balsamic vinegar with a shit ton of garlic. Add avocado for even more fats and protien.

It's a myth that you can't bulk up muscle while the majority of your calories come from veggies. The above diet has a decent amount of protien, good amount of the good fats, very little sugar, and almost no bad carbs. The biggest benefit is that it's stupid easy. Down side is it might get boring. I don't get bored. I had to make a decision to eat for fuel instead of taste. And a lot of my fast food eating was just convenience, as I suspect yours is. So my weekly food preparation and consumption had to be easy for me to stick with it. This is. I make all my salads in about an hour. Epic bars, nuts, and an orange or apple a day with my salads. Easy peasy and I dont get hungry at all even thought it doesn't seem like a lot.

Price. I compared what it cost to eat that way for a month to what I was spending every month on fast food. It's actually about the same. Maybe actually a tad cheaper when I buy certain things in bulk like the trail mix and epic bars.

So, seriously, sorry if this isn't any help. You asked for something fairly different that I didn't have an answer to. But having gone through almost exactly what you are going through, I figured I'd throw it out there.

Oh yeah, Epic bars and Happy Belly nuts can be found on Amazon for the best price and shipping if you have prime.

Also, I can go through the food savor part if it interested you, but it's a side note to the diet.

Edited by pira114, 11 April 2017 - 04:30 AM.

• mangeface and EMSWxSAR like this

#3 spenceman

spenceman

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 907 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

I like a modified Atkins diet. There isn't much to keep track of, just limit your carbs and eat more protein. Biggest thing is cutting out sugary drinks and most snack foods (chips crackers etc), and replace them with things like hard boiled eggs, jerky, protein bars or shakes. You still need carbs, but I limit then to one meal a day if I can. Sometimes​ its oatmeal or cereal in the morning, other times it's pasta or potatoes with lunch or dinner. The nice thing is that a protein rich diet keeps you full longer, so you don't feel the need to eat as much or as often. Just make sure you drink lots of water or you'll get blocked up worse than any mre.

Edited by spenceman, 11 April 2017 - 09:43 AM.

• mangeface and EMSWxSAR like this

PlankOwnerSignatureAZ.gif FBI's Most Wanted for charges of serial thread hijacking.

I'm like a cheap wine. I get better the more you drink.

#4 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,573 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:37 AM

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions gents.

VQz5Nwz.png

#5 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:02 PM

Idk. But I'll share that I did the seven day GM diet and lost 11 pounds three weeks ago. It's stayed off and it's what I used to kickoff my spring running season. I don't really run in the winter - too uncomfortable.

So you might eat what you want three weeks a month a compensate by a quick, cheap although unsatisfying week of GM.

Like Spemceman said, the hard boiled eggs (which Neighborhood Markets usually have for 98¢) and jerky are things I do sometimes if I don't want a meal, and I typically eat only one "meal" unless for some reason I'm in need of a dopamine boost, I.e. pleasure during a challenging day attending to my outpatient psych practice.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#6 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 451 posts
  • LocationLand of 10,000 Lakes

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:14 PM

I eat 90% Paleo, 80% of the time.  It's served me very, very well.  It's falls along the lines of that gluten free business that you were hoping to avoid.  So I won't go any further than that.  But if you decide you'd like additional resources, hit me up and I'll get you pointed in the right direction.  Best of luck, Sir!

• spenceman, PsychoFish and DeathwatchDoc like this

NoTMZyB.png

#7 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,922 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

I eat 90% Paleo, 80% of the time.  It's served me very, very well.  It's falls along the lines of that gluten free business that you were hoping to avoid.  So I won't go any further than that.  But if you decide you'd like additional resources, hit me up and I'll get you pointed in the right direction.  Best of luck, Sir!

This is pretty much me... I am fully gluten and dairy free due to unfortunate reactions, but I do not follow other paleo guidelines as strictly. I'm also willing to discuss my diet and how it has helped me.

• SwatDawg335 and ETCGIB like this

89BccLb.png

#8 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,573 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 17 April 2017 - 02:05 PM

So my dieting has gone very good so far. I've cut out all fried foods, exchanged all sugar drinks for green tea and as much as I didn't want to I eat a grilled chicken salad before work everyday. Mix that with burpees and other exercises and I'm down 7 pounds in about a week.
  • Psybain, MightyP, EMSWxSAR and 2 others like this

VQz5Nwz.png

#9 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,922 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 17 April 2017 - 04:27 PM

Good progress! Keep the momentum rolling!

89BccLb.png

#10 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:42 AM

So my dieting has gone very good so far. I've cut out all fried foods, exchanged all sugar drinks for green tea and as much as I didn't want to I eat a grilled chicken salad before work everyday. Mix that with burpees and other exercises and I'm down 7 pounds in about a week.

If you're going about the process of limiting carbs, make sure you're getting plenty of healthy fats introduced into your diet.

NoTMZyB.png

#11 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,573 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 20 April 2017 - 01:56 AM

Out of curiosity, has anyone used any dieting supplements? If so, which ones and what kind of results did you get?

VQz5Nwz.png

#12 sliestfish

sliestfish

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 17 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:35 PM

I've herd decent things about Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) oils, which is a component of the Ketogenic Diet . To be honest I dont know a whole lot about pros and cons of the Ketogenic Diet other than its a similar process to Atkins, but the Onnit website has some explanations about it.  

Onnit is about the only company I know of that makes an MCT oil, and they make it in both a emulsified and non-emulsified configurations. As far as  I can tell its helps significantly in keeping carbs and sugary beverages out of ones diet. 

https://www.onnit.com/onnit-mct-oil/

https://www.onnit.co...sified-mct-oil/

From a non-diet and fitness standpoint I considered the emulsified MCT oil as an alternative to coffee creamer. I have a dairy/whey allergy and tend not to drink coffee as a caffeine source because I don't care to drink it black all the time. 

• SwatDawg335 likes this

ZCxCkIx.png

#13 SwatDawg335

SwatDawg335

Salty Dog

• Life Member
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:19 PM

I've herd decent things about Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) oils, which is a component of the Ketogenic Diet . To be honest I dont know a whole lot about pros and cons of the Ketogenic Diet other than its a similar process to Atkins, but the Onnit website has some explanations about it.  

Ketosis is simply the process of metabolizing fat as energy instead of carbs.  Your body needs to be trained and conditioned to accept fats as a readily available fuel.   Because all carbohydrates need to be broken down into sugar before they can be burned as energy, they cause the body to produce insulin to combat blood-sugar levels.  When insulin is released, the body begins the process of eliminating blood-sugar by storing any excess sugar as fat.  The problem is, for most people they never become physically active enough to readily burn the amount of sugar that is metabolized.  And because our bodies will always prioritize carbohydrates over fat for energy; those people find themselves in a perpetual state of fat-storing.

Our standard 'American Diet' consists of an alarming amount of carbs, and low fats.  Couple that with the general sedentary lifestyle of most people, and that's a  why we've got such an issue with obesity in our culture.  This is a gross over-simplification, but you get the idea.

On a ketogenic diet, carbohydrates are limited, but healthy/natural fats are increased a LOT (Paleo style diets).  You find yourself full much easier, because fatty foods are generally more nutrient-dense.  Also, the process of metabolizing fat as energy takes longer, so you don't get that 'crash' between meals.  Also, if you find yourself having to skip a mean for any reason, you won't become 'hangery'.  Your body will simply dip into it's fat reserves until you can get some actual food on board.  You'll still have a noticeable appetite, but it won't be as unbearable as your used to if you've got to go a while on an empty stomach.

MCT oil is a fantastic source of energy; but a lot of the commercial MCT oils out there are crazy expensive.  I generally workout first thing in the morning and follow that by having a big breakfast.  But on the mornings that I miss the gym, I generally blend my coffee with unrefined coconut oil.  After a cup or two, I've got no problem making it until lunch, or even later without feeling hungry.

The process of converting your self to a ketogenic diet can be a bit of a challenge at first, because many, many people go 'low-carb' but forget to introduce healthy fats.  There are a lot of ketogenic supplements out there too which will jump start the process.  But if you overdue it with the supplements, you can find yourself in a state called 'ketoacidosis' and that can be fatal.  I've never used them.  There are also ketone strips that you can buy to test the ketone levels in your urine.  I've never used them either.

For me personally, I've found a much higher quality of life by eating paleo and enjoying the benefits of a ketogenic diet.

• sliestfish likes this

NoTMZyB.png

#14 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,573 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 May 2017 - 12:46 AM

I'm going to look a lot more into this paleo diet. It keeps getting mentioned in this thread (and forum) and from what I see it's mostly eating a lot of proteins and non-starch vegetables.

I also got some GNC fish oil pills and metabolism boosters to try out and see if they have any effect. Being they were 75% off it was kind of hard to pass up.
  • sliestfish likes this

VQz5Nwz.png

#15 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,624 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 07 May 2017 - 05:01 AM

It's pretty extreme, but I've found that if you have your colon removed and have to spend 10 days recovering in the hospital, you can lose 14 lbs without trying.
  • mangeface and pira114 like this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#16 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,573 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 May 2017 - 09:56 PM

It's pretty extreme, but I've found that if you have your colon removed and have to spend 10 days recovering in the hospital, you can lose 14 lbs without trying.

Once I'm done with that, they can go after my appendix. Shoot, that's almost 30 pounds in under 3 weeks.

VQz5Nwz.png

#17 BTSmith10

BTSmith10

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPuyallup, WA

Posted 12 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

My wife has had some success with a plan called the Trim Healthy Mama. It's essentially a not as strict version of the paleo eating plan. The premise is that mixing carbs and fats isn't good if you are trying to lose weight. The meals are protein based and then have carb or fat based sides. I know it's not a manly name, but I've seen it work.

#18 mangeface

mangeface

Salty Dog

• 2,573 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:38 AM

So an update to my conditioning. Weight loss hasn't changed a whole lot. I've gone to a protein heavy diet as I've gotten into weight lifting with my supervisor at work (an insane powerlifter). I'm more concerned with building muscle than losing weight at the moment. Currently spending 5 days a week at the gym, but I'm probably going to reorganize my schedule into days a week.

VQz5Nwz.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Diet, Dieting, Health, Exercise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users