• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 319 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:12 PM

Well, I passed my ham technician license a few weeks ago. I'd gotten burned out on that previously in life, but I enjoyed a renewed vigor. My handheld radio is now programmed with both area ham stuff and some prepper-oriented freqs.

I think I'll go test for general later this month. I read the Gordon West book over a week and passed the tech exam readily.

Afterwards, I'll look into a mobile quad band or something.

I know a guy or two here got into ham in the last year or so. I thought I'd post to give the poor forum a little resuscitation.
  • CalicoJack likes this

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#2 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,922 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:29 PM

General was not much more complicated than tech... I study off and on for my extra, but it isn't primary objective at this time.

I've always been fascinated by amateur radio, worked my fair share of local hamfests with my dad growing up. Just never really pursued it other than having my credentials. It is actually a healthy hobby in my area with a great number of active users. I blame that on the number of engineers around here.
  • EMSWxSAR and ArkansasFan like this

89BccLb.png

#3 AaronK

AaronK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:30 AM

I like the capabilities of ham...outside of trail comm though I just don't use it though. I really don't have anything to say
  • PsychoFish and ArkansasFan like this

#4 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 474 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:46 AM

I like the capabilities of ham...outside of trail comm though I just don't use it though. I really don't have anything to say

I'm in a similar boat. I don't find the "rag chew" all that fun to participate in. I'll listen to them for a bit and then switch off. I have participated in a few nets, mostly the trivia, and drive nets that occur around me. I mostly have my radios for emergency use when I'm in the back country. I would love to get my extra and learn CW, which is what got me interested initially, but I've never followed through. 

• EMSWxSAR and ArkansasFan like this
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#5 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:40 AM

Me either. I keep getting emails from local clubs to get on the air, but I'm pretty sure it would be cricket chirps.

Edited by ArkansasFan, 02 July 2017 - 08:46 AM.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#6 ArkansasFan

ArkansasFan

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:50 AM

I'm in a similar boat. I don't find the "rag chew" all that fun to participate in. I'll listen to them for a bit and then switch off. I have participated in a few nets, mostly the trivia, and drive nets that occur around me. I mostly have my radios for emergency use when I'm in the back country. I would love to get my extra and learn CW, which is what got me interested initially, but I've never followed through.

I actually started learning Morse code prior to ham. I've memorized about 20 letters, stop, and 5. It's a slow pursuit because I have no end goal kind of like me learning Spanish.

Emergency comms was my only purpose for ham which I now have covered. I was just looking at HF and mobile units, etc online for the more hobbyist pursuit. The problem for me is that the antennas look...well, dorky.

The Hammo Can was intriguing, but they only had UHF/VHF radio in there. I'm not a DIY guy so if it's not off the shelf and plug and play I'm not doing it.

Edited by ArkansasFan, 02 July 2017 - 08:51 AM.

CrewLeaderSignature.png

#7 DeathwatchDoc

DeathwatchDoc

Salty Dog

• 1,922 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:55 PM

I am pretty blessed with access to the gear... A nationally recognized carrier of multiple brands of radio related gear is located in North Alabama. We also have a reasonably well attended HamFest.

• ArkansasFan likes this

89BccLb.png

#8 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,624 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

The Gear Tasting Radio segment on Ham renewed my interest. I'm planning on getting the tech license just for emergency stuff eventually.

• ArkansasFan likes this

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#9 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:11 PM

I keep meaning to go and do mine, but I keep running out of hours in the day...

#10 MightyP

MightyP

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 698 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

For my technician a few months ago and really have no desire to go further. Got it for off-grid comms. I just have a handheld, but am interested in a mobile setup so I can use APRS. The texting and GPS tracking seem useful.

ITSSignature2.png

What I lack in knowledge & skill, I make up for with sarcasm & bad jokes.

#11 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:52 PM

Finally got around to adding a dual band antenna to the Jeep. Just needs a little heat shrink.

Please ignore the dirty Jeep and rusty bumpers lol.

Attached Files

#12 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,624 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 23 July 2017 - 01:35 AM

Finally got around to adding a dual band antenna to the Jeep. Just needs a little heat shrink.

Please ignore the dirty Jeep and rusty bumpers lol.

<script src="/cdn-cgi/apps/head/1n5YOfQ0GaEBDgsUx-wywUyNa9U.js"></script>

Pics aren't working for me. Not sure if it's just me or if others are having that problem too.

#13 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:03 AM

I'm having issues with about half the pics on this site. Including those.

#14 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

I've been using imgur to host pictures. I've never been able to upload pictures successfully otherwise.

Also ordered a baofeng this week. Kick my ass into action. And I'll be able to operate at 1 watt until I do my exam.

Anyone learning morse code?

#15 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,624 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:42 AM

I've been using imgur to host pictures. I've never been able to upload pictures successfully otherwise.

Also ordered a baofeng this week. Kick my ass into action. And I'll be able to operate at 1 watt until I do my exam.

Anyone learning morse code?

I'm not bothering since it isn't required anymore. Ham technician cert is one of a few I'd like to get over the next couple months, so I'm trying to lighten my memorization load whenever possible.

I've got the Baofeng UV-5R+, it's a pretty nice little radio for ~$30. Make sure to get a programming USB cable so you can use chirp to config everything, it's a lot easier and faster than doing it on the radio itself, and you can save the config file to apply it to multiple radios, or to reload your baofeng if necessary.

#16 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:11 AM

Solid Point regarding the USB cable. Amazon being the wonderful thing that it is, my vehicle antenna, mic and USB cable arrived Friday, the radio should be here in a day or so. Go figure. Also getting an extra whip.

I plan to program the channels that are used by the local St John (Emergency Medical Response) chapter I volunteer with. Having my own kit where I can is key, especially with radios where there is a lot of personal contact. That and my work takes me all over hell and high water of the prairies, including into places where I regularly hit cell dead zones. I'm most concerned about weather, which the Baofeng can monitor. Easier to charge than the dedicated weather radio I have. 

That and you can't beat the price.

I'd like to learn morse code at some point. In Canada, its not required, but an add on that really opens up what you can access. We have basic, advanced and morse code. I could probably brute force my way through basic and maybe pass without prep at this point. I'd rather get my advanced out of the chute. Mostly because I like to tinker.

#17 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,624 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:32 AM

Solid Point regarding the USB cable. Amazon being the wonderful thing that it is, my vehicle antenna, mic and USB cable arrived Friday, the radio should be here in a day or so. Go figure. Also getting an extra whip.

I plan to program the channels that are used by the local St John (Emergency Medical Response) chapter I volunteer with. Having my own kit where I can is key, especially with radios where there is a lot of personal contact. That and my work takes me all over hell and high water of the prairies, including into places where I regularly hit cell dead zones. I'm most concerned about weather, which the Baofeng can monitor. Easier to charge than the dedicated weather radio I have. 

That and you can't beat the price.

I'd like to learn morse code at some point. In Canada, its not required, but an add on that really opens up what you can access. We have basic, advanced and morse code. I could probably brute force my way through basic and maybe pass without prep at this point. I'd rather get my advanced out of the chute. Mostly because I like to tinker.

There's really no point to use a walmart-special FRS blister pack set of radios, when 2 baofeng uv-5r+ radios are nearly the same price with exponentially more functionality.

#18 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:27 AM

http://i.imgur.com/dNewvqz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ut9Vapf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/YDKrSC5.jpg
  • emBARK likes this

#19 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:28 AM

Gah, I can't figure this out. With technology this shouldn't be so freaking hard....

#20 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:47 AM

The more convenient tech gets, the more maddening it is for me.

But I like that Jeep!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users