5 replies to this topic

#1 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:31 AM

Been thinking about possibly getting a smartwatch lately and can get a gently used Fenix 3 on the cheap. I currently rotate a Suunto Core, Protrek 3500, and a nice automatic.

Anything I should know about smartwatches and the Fenix in general? Should I pass on the 3 and save my money for the 5x? Should I just pass on the Garmin period and stay smartless lol?

#2 ducttapedave

ducttapedave

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

Smartless. I flirted with it for a few years, through Samsung and Garmin models. I won a Series 2 Apple watch earlier this year through work and promptly sold it. Unless you really want be up on the latest tweets and such it's not super useful. I was mainly using the watch for fitness metrics, but that fell off pretty quick since, I just started to exercise regularly and sleep regularly, so I wasn't concerned with keeping my hear rate at exactly 85% of max.

I wear a Luminox now. It tells the time and tells it very well.

#3 pira114

pira114

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevadas

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:23 PM

Lots of guys at work have all the different models. I've asked each one to show me what it does and what their favorite function is.

Every single one of them showed me emails and social media. Most said the alarm feature was their favorite. Almost all said it wasn't really worth the money. Only the geekiest of them seemed to like them enough to say it was worth the money.

Personally, I can't see the attraction other than being in on the earliest models of what seems to be fledgling tech. Maybe in a few years they'll do something I find useful, but not yet.

Edited by pira114, 03 August 2017 - 10:24 PM.

#4 emBARK

emBARK

Salty Dog

• Crew Member
  • 256 posts
  • LocationSWNY

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:36 AM

Well I ended up getting it, retail is still around $450, I got mine shipped for $190. I don't do social media, no Twitter, Snapchat, Instagram, etc so those functions have zero bearing for me. At work I tend to miss calls and texts because I don't feel my phone vibrate (my wife says I have a bad vibrator lol), so the notification to the wrist will be nice. I won't set up my emails to it, I get far too many lol. I hope to use the outdoor functions and maybe weather notifications to my wrist. I figured at $190 I could take a chance and resell it for pretty much what I have into it if I don't like it.

#5 Psybain

Psybain

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 1,624 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:04 AM

I have a fitbit, but the only smartwatch-esque functions I use with it are just text and phone call notifications. useful in case my phone is across the room and I want to see whether it's worth walking over and picking it up or not.

35066390514_66d1ce57b5_z.jpg
As Seen on: M4Carbine.net, GlockTalk, and NCGO.

#6 Skynet3132

Skynet3132

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

I have been wearing a Fenix3 HR for about a year now. love it. I bought it to track different types of fitness activities and help keep me motivated. GOVX had a killer sale, so i picked it up as an upgrade from a Fenix2. very happy with it. 

//JK
Tu7wwUX.png?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users