70 replies to this topic

#1 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 655 posts
  • LocationD/FW

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:15 AM

Does anyone have one of those Surefire or other type of "tactical" pens?  Or do you just carry like a space pen?  I have a black "military" space pen from Fisher and one of the classic, silver bullet style space pens.  You?****

Edited by mikejulietpapa, 19 January 2010 - 07:25 PM.

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#2 brockb

brockb

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:17 PM

My current pen of choice is made by Schrade.  I was looking for a tactical type pen that didn't look tactical.  Kind of grey man if you know what I mean.  Also met some of my other personal requirements.  Only about $25, so its not to bad of a sting if I lose it.Posted Image

#3 mikejulietpapa

mikejulietpapa

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 655 posts
  • LocationD/FW

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

That's cool!  Yeah, it's not very noticeable at all.  Is that twist on cap?  Looks super sturdy and from a quick Google search it looks to be the best value out there.Posted ImageYou know though, I'm not sure that I would know what to do with this thing.I can't bring it back up but I saw an ad for a class on tactical pens that was only $25.  Thoughts?

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#4 Norman White

Norman White

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:19 AM

mikejulietpapa said:Does anyone have one of those Surefire or other type of "tactical" pens?  Or do you just carry like a space pen?  I have a black "military" space pen from Fisher and one of the classic, silver bullet style space pens.  You?****

I have one of the Fisher black space pens as well, it doesn't feel very sturdy, but in a pinch I suppose it would do.  I normally have on me a regular $10.00 metal pen that has thick walls and a retractable point.  Very sturdy and not likely to break easily.
Posted ImageJust because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you…nAn unarmed person is a subject, an armed person is a citizen.nhttp://www.normanomicon.com

#5 TICK

TICK

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:01 PM

I also carry a Fisher "military" for everyday writing.  I sometimes carry a Zebra 701 which is cheap and it is built fairly sturdy, in case I need to "write" under difficult situations.
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.png"The more you sweat in peace, the less you bleed in war."

#6 infidelNYC

infidelNYC

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:25 PM

Hello! Sorry haven't gotten around to posting a pic or my plank yet...but I have the Schrade as well...good strong tactical pen, the same company that makes that pen also makes the Smith & Wesson pen...they now have 2 versions..the first is very similar to the Schrade but with a beveled point at the base...they also came out with another now that has more of a grooved grip to it..also screw on cap...and just as strong...the first is same as the Schrade...around $25..the new pen is aroung $35-$40....have owned and seen most of the tactical pens out there and other than the name no real need to spend $80-$120 for a name...but I guess it realy does just matter on personal opinion.Hope this helps!Stay Safe!
Posted Image

#7 5Solas

5Solas

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:27 AM

I only carry a "Rite in the Rain" which while sturdy enough, wouldn't exactly qualify.
Posted Image
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." - Robert E. Lee

#8 Jarhead556

Jarhead556

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:04 AM

I also carry the Fisher Military. It is a pen, it does the job and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. So I don't feel bad if I break it or lose it.  All the high dollar tactical pens sure do look prety, but it is just a pen. I would rather spend the extra cash on more important things, like ammo...../wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_beer.gif
Posted Image"The deadliest weapon in the world is a MARINE and his rifle!" GEN. PERSHING, US.ARMY

#9 benderator

benderator

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:59 PM

using Schrade. its awesome!
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.png

#10 AKIA

AKIA

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 05:31 AM

I just carry a Fisher bullet space pen and a regular Rite in the Rain pen.  I have looked at the Surefire and other tactical pens but with how often  I tend to loose pens or have people take mine at work when I turn my back I just can't justify the expense. But thanks to some of you I am off to look at some of the Schrade pens./wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_biggrin.gif
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.pngNON SILBA SED ANTHAR

#11 TacomaFour

TacomaFour

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 02:30 PM

I ordered a Tuff-Writer pen.  I've seen several reviews on other sites that the Schrade pen gets banged up pretty easily.  I narrowed my selection down to a Mil-Tac TDP-1 and the Tuff-Writer Frontline Series, and in the end I just liked the aesthetics of the Tuff-Writer better.
Posted ImageThe Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

#12 painisprogress

painisprogress

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:35 PM

Zebra 701 and 302. Does the job and the 701 could help me out with.....unruly papers.
/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/PlankOwnerSignature.pngEveryone speaks gun

#13 Centurion

Centurion

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 66 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities Metro Area, MN

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:35 PM

I'm kind of a pen nut. I've got the Mil-Tac tactical pen in OD. It's made well and writes nice. I'm just not that crazy about a pen that has a screw on cap. It's just more to fiddle around with. I bought both styles of the Surefire pens. Didn't like the first one at all and sold it. The second style is cool and I carry it once in a while. I've also got a few of the Fisher Military pens along with a few Fisher bullet pens. My favorite pen for the coolness factor is one made out of two .308 shells with the Pipe Hitters Union logo engraved on it that they sell on their website.
Posted Image

#14 5Solas

5Solas

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:24 AM

Centurion, thanks for directing me towards PHU...pretty neat stuff there; I think I might just get one of those pens.
Posted Image
"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." - Robert E. Lee

#15 Centurion

Centurion

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:29 AM

Yeah, PHU has some pretty cool stuff. I wish they would put some type of clear lacqer on their pens. They come nice & shiny in a clear plastic box but get really tarnished after a couple of months as you would expect brass shells to get.
Posted Image

#16 David Kauzlaric

David Kauzlaric

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:10 AM

I like the SureFire Pen 1.I think the biggest feature it has over the others is the glass breaker tailcap, which to me is nice. However, at $120... quite pricey.Although it does seem very sturdy, and sleek.

#17 Centurion

Centurion

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:16 AM

TOPS Knives is now carrying pens. They have a Standard Model and an Elite Model. Not sure what the Standard Model is made from, polymer or plastic? The Standard Model is available in coyote brown or black. The Elite, not available yet, will be made from G10 or carbon fiber. Right now the standard model is going for the introductory price of $19.95 with free shipping. The regular price for them will be $29.95. No price on the Elite model yet. I ordered a coyote brown one last night. I will try to figure out how to get pics up from the webiste otherwise you can go to http://www.topsknives.com.
Posted Image

#18 Grasshopper

Grasshopper

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:34 AM

Posted ImageUntil these become illegal to carry in the UK (won't be long the way things are going)I carry a Mil-TEC TDP, as Centurion said they are well made and do write well; as for what to do with one, other than the obvious it can be used kind of like a kubaton in the ice-pick grip, think of that scene in the Bourne Identity, the knife vs pen fight in the flat.
Posted ImageChance favours the prepared mind.

#19 Centurion

Centurion

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:39 AM

I got the Coyote Brown TOPS standard model pen in the mail yesterday. My first impression is that I like the pen. It's made from pastic and is pretty solid. I took off the bead chain becuase I have no desire to wear it around my neck. I left the kydex on becuase that serves as the pen's cap. Due to its shape, it's not incredibly comfortable to write with and I would not write any novels with it. The flat shape, however, makes it nice to slip into a cargo pants pocket to be used for jotting or quick note taking. It's certainly not as flashy or as well made as some of the other tactical pens out there but if you can still get one from TOPS for the $20 introductory price I would recommend picking one up. I may get a G10 Elite model when they are available depending on the price.
Posted Image

#20 Trebec

Trebec

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:57 PM

I rock the Embassy Pen from CountyComm. It's not as expensive as some of the other tactical style pens that I've come across.
Posted Image
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"- Edmund Burke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users