• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 9chase26

9chase26

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:50 PM

That Embassy pen is cool but twice as much as the TOPS S.O.P., gonna try that one first.  I've had two of Mil-Tac's pens and have had trouble with the ink, lost them when the top unscrewed, etc.  No more expensive pens for me.  I also carry Fisher Military pens, they rock.

PlankOwnerSignature.png "Vive la mort, vive la guerre, vive le sacre mercenaire"

#22 Centurion

Centurion

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 66 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities Metro Area, MN

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:11 PM

I like the looks of the CountyComm embassy pen and the Tuff Writer pen, however, my understanding is the caps don't post on the back of the pen while writing. I'm also not that crazy about screw on caps. I know that makes them a better kubaton but I want a practical pen first and an improvised impact weapon second. In my job, I often work at night in the freezing cold with a notebook in one hand, a pen in the other, and a flashlight tucked under my arm. Screw on caps and especially caps that won't post on the back are just one more thing to fiddle around with and a pain in the butt. I own an OD green Mil Tac pen and have never had any issues with it. My only gripe about it as that too has a screw on cap.

Edited by Centurion, 01 March 2010 - 11:56 AM.

Posted Image

#23 Norman White

Norman White

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:41 AM

Hey all,During a Kubotan/Combat Pen course I took this weekend, something was brought up that I thought I'd share.With one of the 'pens' that are designed by say S&W or Surefire, etc.  When the police look at it, they think nothing of it really, when the Detectives look at it, they also may think nothing of it.  But when the Attorney's get a hold of it, they'll see the S&W or the Surefire, or something similar that 'marks it' as a 'tactical pen' or something that would lead them to believe it is used as a weapon, they'll likely end up using that against you in court. This is of course assuming it goes to court and the appropriate use of force is questioned.If you're using a standard run of the mill $5.00 pen from wal-mart or staples, or even just a piece of wood or a 'long keychain fob', they're not going to really look twice, it'll be more of a tool of opportunity that you used to defend yourself.Again, it's just something to keep in mind.(And if y'all don't mind me pimping out my site again) You can read the full post of my AAR for the class I took on my site.  I"ll post the link when I get it posted (with at least one picture of me getting slapped in a demonstration).
Posted ImageJust because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you…nAn unarmed person is a subject, an armed person is a citizen.nhttp://www.normanomicon.com

#24 Trebec

Trebec

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

The cap doesn't post on the back as you said. I got it as more of a, when I'm in the field and its pouring rain out I'm not going to have issues with it and it can be used as a great weapon if the need arises. It is kind of a pain in the ass not having the cap attached to the pen but it works out alright.
Posted Image
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"- Edmund Burke

#25 Centurion

Centurion

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

A couple of new pens to check out are from Surefire and Fisher. Surefire had produced two pens already and they now have the Pen III available. It's a click operated pen and comes in black with silver accents or tan with black accents. It doesn't look like the tan model is available right now but you can see pics of the black at http://www.surefire.com. It doesn't look like you can purchase them yet from Surefire but http://www.knifecenter.com had the black ones in stock for $115.I saw on http://www.soldiersystems.net yesterday that Fisher has relased a matte, desert tan version of the bullet pen and the military cap - o - matic space pen models. I could not find them on Fisher's website but I did find them both on ebay. I picked up a desert tan military model cap - o - matic pen on ebay for around 10 bucks.
Posted Image

#26 Amos

Amos

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 03:56 AM

I used to have a space pen but sadly after three weeks or so I lost it! They made that bastard to small and slippery. Besides, if I suddenly find myself in space (or underwater) I will have bigger problems than my choice of pen! Anyways, now I’m a bic man. Look how bad a$% that guy is. He would freak me out in a dark alley. Plus if I have to use it for self defense, I can just leave it sticking out of the bad guy and get another cause it came in a ten pack.Walk softly and carry a big pen!Posted Image
Posted Image

#27 Virius

Virius

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 50 posts
  • LocationWaterford, WI

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:02 PM

I totally agree with you Amos, Bic has been by far my favorite pen for a long time, I used to carry one of the Zebra pens and then a rite in the rain pen and if someone takes/borrows and then takes it or you lose it, your SOL, but when you buy a pack of Bic Round Stics which I havent found in a long time. You can lose it, wash it, break it, and do whatever, and your good to go, you can just pull another one out of your desk drawer.And it would be freaky to come across him in a dark alley, the shorts are kind of unerving /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_eek.gif
Posted Image
"A good plan violently executed today is far and away better than a perfect plan tomorrow." - William Tecumseh Sherman

#28 Desette

Desette

Landlubber

• Plank Owner
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:08 PM

I have bought several fisher military style pens but always loose them. This is my biggest problem with an EDC pen is that they go missing and are hard to keep a hold of. Anyone have a good system to not lose there $20-$150 pens?
Posted ImageOh by the way, I'm Canadian eh. Shikin Haramitsu Daikomyo

#29 Yancey Harrington

Yancey Harrington

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:43 PM

I dig the surefire pens... but, if I loose one, damn, that is expensive. The Fisher pens are cheap, and they are really good...i used to buy them every time they were offered at the VBC PX... they are good pens and heck if I have had one stop working yet. That Sherade (sp?) pen is nice... hummm ;)Good thread...Y-

#30 ssmith3351

ssmith3351

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

I'll second the coolness factor of the CounyComm (stainless) Embassy Elite Pen. Just got mine and its very nice, extremely well built. I think you could throw it through a plate glass window with ease. This thing is heavy. A previous post raved about the standard Bic pen...I have to say if Jason Borne can fight with it, it must be a good tactical weapon. /wp-content/forum-smileys/icon_smile.gif ~Steve
/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CrewLeaderSignature.png

#31 AF22Raptor

AF22Raptor

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:09 PM

I have the Smith and Wesson Tactical Pen had it since January and its a Great Pen that feels solid enough to get the job done.  Its reasonably price at the under 30 dollar price point in most retailers and you can get it one ebay for about 23 bucks if you are lucky.  I carry mine everyday and its piece of mind specially when going to a secured building where knives and sidearms are not allowed.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

#32 Orion

Orion

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 08:38 AM

Cheap pens are great, definitely, but what sets a tactical pen apart from regular pens isnt that you can just stick in the enemy and walk away. These tactical pens are designed for much more. You cant break your window when you are trapped in your car with a bic stick. You cant cut your seatbelt when it is jammed with a zebra. These pens are designed to save your life.

#33 opm9mm

opm9mm

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:39 AM

+1 the Embassy pen from Country Comm.
DILLIGAF

#34 JoelC

JoelC

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 02:08 PM

Just Picked up this Shrade Tactical Pen.....Thanks for the info guys! Posted Image 
A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood – Gen. Patton

#35 Orion

Orion

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:53 PM

Posted ImageThis is my EDC pen. Its a kyocera silver thin executive pen. I got it from a toyota dealership. its good, solid construction and woudl be great as a pressure point or self defense pen. These retail for $15 a pop and take kyocera ceramic refills. Very solid and durable. The onyl thing that sets some super duper crazy Tactical pen apart from this is a glass breaker point and $150.

#36 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:18 PM

I carry the stowaway space pen, it is super compact.  Don't plan to use it for a weapon, just to write with if nothing else is around. http://www.spacepen.com/blackstowawaypen.aspx 
Posted Image

#37 Centurion

Centurion

Mate

• Plank Owner
  • 66 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

I just found that Kyocera pen online for around 15 bucks. Not a bad looking pen for that price.
Posted Image

#38 the pitbull469

the pitbull469

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:44 AM

The space pens are cool but my pens get lost easily so the price to replace them is too much for me.——–> i found the space pen refills are alot cheaper so i take those and cover them in black plastic shrink tube and add a pen pocket clip so i have a cheap mini pen that fits perfect in my wallet.MAL, aka the pitbull469 

Edited by the pitbull469, 04 October 2010 - 02:46 AM.

Carpe Diem / Veritas Requias

#39 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 301 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:08 AM

Amos said:

I used to have a space pen but sadly after three weeks or so I lost it! They made that bastard to small and slippery. Besides, if I suddenly find myself in space (or underwater) I will have bigger problems than my choice of pen! Anyways, now I’m a bic man. Look how bad a$% that guy is. He would freak me out in a dark alley. Plus if I have to use it for self defense, I can just leave it sticking out of the bad guy and get another cause it came in a ten pack. 

Yeah same thing here, I think I bought four of those dang pens in one year. I did have to work in a walk in freezer ONE time, and was pretty impressed that while my standard pen didn't work anymore my space pen did. /wp-content/forum-smileys/sf_headbang.gif I also bought and lost a really nice $40 pen set for my uniform a couple weeks back. Its probably in one of my gear bags somewhere./wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_stick.gif  
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#40 pyro

pyro

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 08:38 AM

The S&W pens are pretty bomb proof (used it to open a bottle of youngs double chocolate stout the other night /wp-content/forum-smileys/anim_beer.gif).  However the ink carts that come with it are horrible.  The two I have leak horribly. I havent looked into diff replacement brands of ink that will fit.  Anyone have a line on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users