Photo

"Lock Picking as a Skill-Set and its Practical Applications" I am bad at this.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 adam bairos

adam bairos

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:57 AM

I know this is a practiced skill, granted. However, without making a practice board with a set of locks that I can practice on I can't exactly practice. What I do have at my disposal is my house key and the deadbolt and the turn-open locks that are on my door. There is an identical turn-open lock that is in an inner door that would be perfect to practice on if the tools I have will actually open the door. So let's begin.This is the lock Posted ImageThis is the side view of the lock Posted Image this is the key that opens the lockPosted Image the pics at my disposalPosted Image and this is why i think im having such a hard time, this is a pic of the size relation between the key and the rake I have at my disposal. Do I just need a longer rake for longer keys? Or am I being a terrible lockpick.Posted Image

#2 TheZenful1

TheZenful1

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:04 PM

Adam, I can probably count maybe a dozen times I've "played" around with picks and locks. I have a good friend who is alot farther on developing this skill set and kind of pulled me aside to try it out on a couple occasions. I found it was a balance of finesse between the amount of torsion you put on the cylinder as you jiggle (think lever action) the rake to bump the individual pins into position. The torque you have on the torsion bar will turn the cylinder as those pins go into position, then voila. I wasn't always successful on the same lock cylinder... guess that's why it's a skill set. As far as the technical aspect of using the proper rake tool, that's outside my bounds of knowledge. Makes me want to start looking into that specific skill set again and work towards proficiency.

#3 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 605 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

I just built the DIY Lockpick Practice set that was posted on the ITS website. I used kwikset deadbolts. Using the bogota entry toolset I was able to pick my first lock in about 3 minutes! Definately a fun and practical skill to develop. So far I've only been successful on the kwikset locks. I also tried to pick a couple of Schlage deadbolts, but so far I haven't been able to pick them. I'm definately going to keep working at it!

5399202523_bd1cb04e2e_o.png

#4 hfm5872

hfm5872

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Picked up my Bogota picks here at ITS last week. Lots of fun. So far, I have been able to pick any master lock, but having trouble with an American Lock set. Being deployed, my only practice option right now is padlocks. can't wait to give some dead bolts a try...
Posted Image
One Team, One Fight

#5 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 605 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

hfm5872,

Have you tried shimming the padlocks with an aluminum can yet? The tutorial on the ITS website is really good. So far I still need to work on it, but I've opened one of my padlocks this way so far. Since you're deployed and don't have access to deadbolts for practice maybe that could provide another element to your skill set. Picking deadbolts is pretty fun. I think you'll like it. Here's to your safe return from the deployment!
:beer:

#6 hfm5872

hfm5872

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:12 AM

LongHaul

I read the article but not have tried it you. Great idea, I think I will try shimming some of the padlock as well!
Posted Image
One Team, One Fight

#7 PsychoFish

PsychoFish

Salty Dog

• Plank Owner
  • 291 posts
  • LocationDusty Ole AZ

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:29 AM

hfm,

on those American locks, a buddy who was deployed said they used to cut a lot of them off and scrap em if they froze up (probably sand as they are pretty beefy locks!) Anyways, if you can get your hands of a couple and get the thing open, you can remove the core from them. A 5.56 round works great as a plug follower to keep the springs inside the lock so you can repin them or just get rid of the security pins. I know the ones we use here to transport our inmates to court have a mix of ribbed, and spools and even a combo of both! Picking them is a pain in the butt!
Posted Image
There's threats everywhere, and the world is draped in [Multicam]

#8 LongHaul

LongHaul

Life Member

• 605 posts
  • LocationAlaska

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

hfm5872,

Any luck shimming the padlocks yet? I'm a little better at picking the Kwikset deadbolts than shimming padlocks. I have a tendency to tear the aluminum shim. I should probably use a little more finesse and a little less force. Anyway, hope things are going well and I'll see you around the forums.

#9 hfm5872

hfm5872

Swabbie

• Crew Leader
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

I seem to be tearing shims as well.. Still trying to perfect my method...
  • LongHaul likes this
Posted Image
One Team, One Fight

#10 helen77

helen77

Swabbie

• Crew Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:39 AM

hfm5872,

The tutorial on the ITS website is really good. So far I still need to work on it, but I've opened one of my padlocks this way so far. Since you're deployed and don't have access to deadbolts for practice maybe that could provide another element to your skill set. Picking deadbolts is pretty fun. I think you'll like it. Here's to your safe return from the deployment!

I find your tutorial quite helpful for me also .hanks for sharing it.I like Deadbolts picking.Now onward I shall start my work on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users