• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kingkroupa

Kingkroupa

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:37 PM

So my my normal daily carry gun was my Glock 19 (note I said was, wife determined that it was now her gun...) so I'm looking at upgrading. I initally thought I would just go to a 17 and be done with it but I carry with a Surefire X300 about 99% of the time and it will extend past the muzzle a little on the 17. So if I'm dealing with that extra length anyway why not go ahead and move up to the 34? The grip is the same length and that is always the part I struggle with the most when it comes to concealed carry and when compared to the 17 with the light on it I'm really only adding a 1/2" or less in overall length. Am I making sense or am I just trying to justify a slightly cooler new toy in the 34 when the 17 would be more practical?
Posted Image
tacticaltexan.wordpress.com
Keep up the good fight-Rob

#2 jinx667

jinx667

Life Member

• Plank Owner
  • 360 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

Get another 19.  Perfect size, and you liked the one you had.
Posted Image

#3 secondstoryguy

secondstoryguy

Landlubber

• Crew Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:16 AM

I had that same conundrum a while back. I had a pretty stock 34 I used for games (IDPA/USPSA) but I never carried it concealed. Not liking to train with guns I don't carry, I bought a 17, put a lighter connector in it, and put it up against the 34 on the timer. I ran through some basic drills and found that I shoot both the 34 and the 17 about the same, so I sold the 34 to a friend. Some folks do claim to shoot the 34 better, however, I think the differences are very slight. I'm sure guys like Sevigny could tell the difference, but I didn't see it. YMMV.

That being said, I know a few guys that carry the 34 concealed. It's not that much bigger and actually conceals quite well with the right holster. The grip is the hardest thing to hide, not the added 1/2" of barrel. As a duty gun with a WML, the 34/35 is the only way to fly, the added length is nice as it keeps the light cleaner and just seems to be a more balanced set up.

#4 jcrist

jcrist

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 17 posts
  • LocationForest VA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

I'm all in for another 19. My wife has one and I carry mine most of the time, sometimes the 26. I DO NOT recommend the 34 for EDC and not for size reasons (of which I think is a little impractical). After a few rounds the 34 will FTE with any degradation in your support hand. I have a friend who shot mine and would get them. I never did but it tells me that window for FTE is much narrower in that weapon. Again, I've never had an issue but I've seen a poor base produce them - with my own eyes.

#5 jcrist

jcrist

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 17 posts
  • LocationForest VA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

Plus the G19 is the world's perfect pistol!

#6 berserkirtec

berserkirtec

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

I agree, G19 all the way, why mess with perfection. Who cares if the light sticks out slightly farther then the barrel. Also, I just saw an awesome Kydex holster that PHLster.com is producing soon for Glocks with Surefire x300 lights. It will have a tension screw which grips the light instead of the gun, which makes sense since the light is wider then the weapon.

#7 jcrist

jcrist

Landlubber

• Crew Leader
  • 17 posts
  • LocationForest VA

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'm not a gun on the light guy anyway, sometimes I need my light without pointing a gun a something ;-)

#8 berserkirtec

berserkirtec

Mate

• Crew Member
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

HAHAHAHA. Yeah, I was responding to the original posting. I'm now realizing it was posted back in 2011. He probably has made a decision by now. I too like to have my light separate from my weapon. ;)

#9 michael star

michael star

Mate

• Crew Leader
  • 95 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

I own a 34 and was stopping by a small shop that I purchase my ammo from and I saw that he has some used 19s for $375 out the door. Might have to go pick me one up.

#10 Rob Henderson

Rob Henderson

Salty Dog

• Administrator
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:48 PM

I own a 34 and was stopping by a small shop that I purchase my ammo from and I saw that he has some used 19s for $375 out the door. Might have to go pick me one up.

Might have to go pick all of them up. That's a pretty decent price.
Posted Image

#11 Highwaystreets

Highwaystreets

Salty Dog

• Crew Leader
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

Yah that's an awesome price, I'd grab one at that price for sure. If you are worried about carrying with the x300 raven concealment makes some nice holsters for the x300.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users